Thread: 24 diodes into a telescope?

Default 24 diodes into a telescope?

After seeing this:

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1278121430

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHF3404KqC8

One wonders if itīs possible to focus to an acceptable beam with an aditional lens...

Not the same thing at all... the guy is using the diodes in the projector assembly.

really??

then you need to explina better what you mean
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Well, if you read my other thread you see that my plans is to stack some beams, and build a projector...

What Iīm asking here is if itīs possible to get an usable beam by just putting some lenses in front of the diodes like the guy did in the pic/video...

Hope to have cleared it out!

no .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by laserdj View Post
    Well, if you read my other thread you see that my plans is to stack some beams, and build a projector...

What Iīm asking here is if itīs possible to get an usable beam by just putting some lenses in front of the diodes like the guy did in the pic/video...

Hope to have cleared it out!
    The guy in the pic/video did not add any optics. The beam combiner and focusing assembly you see is straight out of the projector. I've done that same thing, and it's impressive. It will focus all 16W (approximately) onto a spot of less than 1mm dia.

It's not going to be useful for much though. The collimation and combining optics in that assembly are very sloppy and low quality. The individual collimation lenses do a poor job and are not consistently aligned, either with the diodes or with each other. Also, the knife-edge mirrors do not stack the beams very close to each other in either axis. The result is a low-brightness source. I tried collimating the output after the built-in focusing lens by using another 2cm or so FL PCX lens, and the result was like a bright blue flashlight from hell. The tightest beam I could get was about 300mm at 10m. I concluded it wasn't worth any additional effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
    The guy in the pic/video did not add any optics. The beam combiner and focusing assembly you see is straight out of the projector. I've done that same thing, and it's impressive. It will focus all 16W (approximately) onto a spot of less than 1mm dia.

It's not going to be useful for much though. The collimation and combining optics in that assembly are very sloppy and low quality. The individual collimation lenses do a poor job and are not consistently aligned, either with the diodes or with each other. Also, the knife-edge mirrors do not stack the beams very close to each other in either axis. The result is a low-brightness source. I tried collimating the output after the built-in focusing lens by using another 2cm or so FL PCX lens, and the result was like a bright blue flashlight from hell. The tightest beam I could get was about 300mm at 10m. I concluded it wasn't worth any additional effort.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
    It would be too easy if it worked out this way, huh?!