Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long distance from DAC to laser

Default Long distance from DAC to laser

I was curious on how you guys do long runs from your computer to your laser ?
    I purchased a 50 ft and a 100 ft ilda cable but when I use them I get signal loss.

USB cable can only go 16 feet with out a hub or "repeater"

I looked into doing USB over Cat5 but so far I have only seen devices that support USB 1.1 and not usb 2.0

Do you guys have any solutions ?

What Dac are you refering to and oes it have balanced line outputs? For minimal loss and noise immunity a diff output is a must. I use 50m of ilda with no problems and I actually use 2x cat5 patch cables for this with little inline RJ45 to 25-way at each end.
    As for USB over cat 5 the only thing I have ever seen that was any good - ie reliable was a USB to cat 5 system from Amplicon. Anything such as the cheapies for around £30 will be a waste of money - in my opionion

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

regretfully a Ishow Dac, my easylase dac is not working.

I am not sure if has balanced outs or not. its crap non the less , but I did find out i can run spaghetti on it. Which i will be looking into. I wish i could test it before purchasing it though

The usb over cat5 system was around $160 us. but again only did usb 1.1

If i could go rj45 to 25-way, that would be great. If you think that may work for me, could you post a link.. I would like to be able to do a 100 -150 ft run at shows.

thanks

The RJ45 to 25 ways were something I knocked up myself - all you need is a dual RJ45 trailing housing at each end one with 25way male the other with 25 way female. The idea is thatyou then link the 2 with standard cat 5 cable and you have 16 conductors for X Y Z R G B Interrlock GND & shutter

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I get signal loss.
    Signal loss like ...

reduced image size?
    reduced brightness?
    wobbly image?
    distorted image?
    chamfered corners?

No image at all ?

Bart : Distorted images, unidentifiable image.

Stanwax: I do IT work and have some experience with networking.
    Can you show me a link to a "dual RJ45 trailing housing" ( i assume this is something like a keystone jack but not sure )

you then splice / soldier a cut end of a 25way male and female to each dual trailing housing allowing you to use any size cat5 run to interconnect them.

I will test it when i get home. Thanks !

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If changing cabling schemes does not help you, here are the circuits for the ILDA standard line drivers and receivers. You will need to knock the X29 card's +/- 8 volts single ended x-y signals down to +/- 5 to drive the analog transmitter circuits. A 1 to 10 Kilo Ohm potentiometer will do that nicely, on each channel.

Steve Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILDA-digital.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	253.6 KB 
ID:	18178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILDA-ANALOG.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	371.5 KB 
ID:	18179
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=ElektroFreak;154373]My solution to the long distance problem requires the use of two computers. You place the laser, DAC, and main control PC as close as your cabling will permit and then remotely control the main PC using VNC software. There can be some small lag, but in my experience it's typically not enough to be a problem.

How do you handle the safety signals? Do you mask your projector so the beams cannot be unsafe?

While I have no problems with VNC, wonderful stuff, every time for the past 20 years that remote control comes up, somebody has to ask the tough question.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

i use an fb3 and a 30metre long ild cable.

not properly tested but ive not noticed any loss.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat