Thread: need help blanking

Exclamation need help blanking

hi im new to this whole thing but learnin fast. i got a scanner and a ttl laser and a modified sound card that makes use of the ezauddac driver. i draw a circle or something then display it on the wall and it has a line going from center to the circle now(some ild files show lots of lines)i asume removing them would be the blanking. my laser driver has four wires to it, black and red power the laser and brown and green to the sound card rear output for the blanking. when pluged into this card the laser never shuts off. i have read the volage at the sound card and it never changes from 2.0 volts dc .... any help would be great ...thanx in advance

Hello Nump

you cant read a blanking signal with a multi meter (assuming thats what you have done) All it will show you is that there is a signal or not on that line - it cant tell you that the signal is correct however.

What happens when you apply 0v and 5V green and brown? The laser should turn off with 0V and on with 5V (I know you prob know this but just making sure...) If you dont know which is gnd of the modulation and which is the signal work it out by using your multimeter (with the power off) to find continuity between one of the wires and the black power wire - this will be ground. At least then you know you will be wired up the right way round and try the 0v 5V test to be sure the laser goes on and off as it should.
    I assume that the dac has seveal colour lines in which case try hooking up to a different line (once you know which is the correct way round to wire it) and see if it works on that line. If it does but stays on when on the green line than there is likely something wrong with the green output.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I need the left hand picture reshot looking straight down on the component side of the board, cant see if your modded from this angle.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by numpskulls View Post
    i think im wired rite but i also think that maybe the sound card was sold to me as modified and maybe it is not...i dont see any signs that any thing has been desolderd or resolderd. and another thing is that when any sound comes thru the x y to the scanners then i can hear that sound thru the scanners and it messes up the galvos while that sound is present(maybe telling something not rite). if i plug into the dac then the laser comes on but software cant get it to go off. im trying to put two images of the card in this post. maybe some one could tell me if it needs modification still.
    Attachment 18204Attachment 18203
    Those connections don't look quite right to me, but the pic is fuzzy and at an odd angle.

Check this thread for details about how a soundcard DAC using your sound card should be wired up: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...81&pagenumber=

keep in mind some lasers has a short to ground input for blanking.
    like mine little red-o i bought of e-bay
    a simple opto-coupler solved it for me

martin

^Just out of curiosity, which red did you buy from ebay?

it was over a year ago
    so i canīt find the link anymore
    itīs a red 650nm 250mw diode with driver in a black elox tube with 3 wires
    that description doesnīt tell you anything
    a typical "china laser"

martin

Quote Originally Posted by numpskulls View Post
    here is better pic of components i hope. i did discover that i have negitive wire of ttl going to ground on the sound card. it was checked with ohm meter from that wire to ground prong on puter plug(coninuity good).also channels 3,4 and 5 are the only ones putting out voltage(2.0vdc)(i think telling me its been moded). channel 6 the intensity channel does not put out voltage and x and y channels barely lift needle but the scanner image is good. moving any sliders does not change voltage on the three color channels. the channel my laser is on is the red channel. i see movement in the image when this slider is moved.
    the guys i bought it from are helping me out so thats a blessing.i have the laser on 3 nickle metle hidrides to equal 3.6 volts and when he tested it befor selling to me he had 5.0 vdc to it. so im putting in a fourth battery and see if 4.8 vdc helps. its a four wire ttl laser...black and red for power from battery and a positive and negitive running to sound dac channel. can you think of anything im doing wrong? Attachment 18254
    To me it doesn't look like the cards been modded except for the removal of some caps and the addition of the two larger caps. I'm not seeing any laser signal connections being made there, only the USB connections.