Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: PCAOM

Smile WTB: PCAOM

looking for a PCAOM to use with my SP-168
    in my hobby setup

I believe Bill at Pangolin has just listed one on Ebay. There's a thread somewhere if you do a search.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I can heartily recommend the NEOS - its the same as mine that I use on my 168 (except in a rack mount) works a treat. And if it goes for the kinda money its at currently - its a bloody steal!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Question

BTW how do i control 8 channels with RGB signals from the ILDA connector
    do i group them together?
    blue 400-488nm, green 514-540nm, red 600-700nm

If you only have 3 blanking lines then yes - you tie the blues together.
    Running mine with the blues on separate lines off a QM32 made a HUGE difference to the range of colours - would be even better with a QM2OOO

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

lost the auction
    anybody else got a pcaom to sell?

Smile

I have a 4-channel NEOS unit that has been modified to support 3 blue channels and one green. (The crystal for the red channel oscillator was replaced with one that allows you to pick up another blue line.) I still have the original red crystal, and I have the adjustable bragg mount for the head as well.

I've only used it once, to test it. Since then it's been sitting on a shelf. I purchased it from Dave and Adrian at LaserShowParts.com about a year ago, after they used it for about 3 months. (They decided they didn't need it, because the project they were working on fell through.) Likewise, I haven't used it in over a year, so maybe I should sell it to someone who will actually put it to good use.

I paid well over $1000 with shipping for it, and brand new they sell for about $1500 or so, but I'm open to reasonable offers. (Not going to let it go for a song though. I'd rather keep it "just in case" than lose hundreds of dollars on the deal.)

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by teknofon View Post
    do i group them together?
    blue 400-488nm, green 514-540nm, red 600-700nm
    Actually the ILDA standard breaks them down into nice groups, I'll post the suggestions from the 1992 copy of the standard in a day or two.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by teknofon View Post
    There are several methods, but in general, you group them together, yes.

How you group them depends on your controller and your personal preference. For example, Pangolin's LD-2000 has 6 color channels, so you can have one for red (647 nm), one for green (514 nm, and possibly the 528 nm line as well), and then the rest (save for one) would be blue(ish) channels. Typically the 496 nm, and 488 nm wavelengths are mapped to cyan, while the 476 nm line is mapped to blue and the 457 nm line is mapped to violet. All three of these can be adjusted individually in the color wizard to fine tune the eventual "blue" that will result.

Note that the arrangement above still leaves one channel open on both the controller and the PCAOM. This last channel is normally used for the krypton yellow line at 568 nm. However, you may not have this line depending on the optics in your mixed gas laser. If you don't have yellow, then you can add another blue line (501 nm or 465 nm) and group it with the other wavelengths on either the cyan or blue channels.

Now, if you only have three color channels on your controller and you still have an 8 channel PCAOM, then you'd map the red channel from your controller to the 647 nm line, the green channel to the 514 nm line (and possibly to either the 528 line or the 501 line as well), and everything else (496, 488, 476, 465, and 457 nm) to the blue channel.

Adam

You really missed the boat on the Pangolin one for sale, I'd be willing to part with mine for around $2000. The difference with mine and Pangolin's is that I have the cover which is AR Coated for the Input and a Prism on the exit to seperate the waste beam further. That and it is the High Power Crystal. I think with the LaserFX Discount it was $3600ish price range. That and it comes with all cables RF and ILDA IN- PCAOM OUT/SCANNER OUT, Brag Mount, post, and foot for a optics table. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11133

that or the first generation 4 channel drivers.. but no crystal.. but I might be able to find a lower power crystal if the price is right.
    Rob Mudryk
    Retired old and Grumpy Laserist