Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galaxian / Twinkle lasers

Smile

Thanks for the tips, Dan! This will be for private use only, so I'm not looking to get a variance for it. However, the leaking IR is a concern. Fortunately, I have a large IR filter that I can use to check it with. Though in all honesty, I'll probably end up replacing some of the lasers inside it anyway. My idea is to make it into a multi-purpose lumia and starburst projector, and make it full RGB. (We'll see how long that takes!)

Any chance of you bringing some of those rotating grating modules you showed me at your shop to SELEM this year? Even if it's just the bare rotation mechanism, I think you might find some people are interested in them...

Adam

I'll see what I can do. =)

santans thanks for the link ! I could not find one for anywhere close to that price

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Twinkle lasers... I own two Chauvet Scorpion Storm RG's and they are great units that can be had for as little as $180 on eBay but recently one of the mobile DJ's who is in my place frequently brought one of those little tiny units mentioned earlier in the thread. Cost: $10 plus shipping. His was very nicely made. It prompted me to look into grabbing one as well and low and behold there are tons of them available with an average combined price (with shipping about $35.) I received mine a couple days ago and the first thing that I noticed was that the "feel" of the unit and build quality seemed much cheaper than the first one I was shown. It exemplies what I picture in my mind when I read about "cheap chinese laser". Nonetheless I tried it first at home in the living room and then at work in an empty 7000 sf ballroom with 14' ceilings. AMAZING coverage of the room. Thousands upon thousands of points of dancing red and green. Sound active, auto, strobe etc. I can easily see why people would buy these at $10 all day long, since it outputs about the same as the Chauvets if not bigger and brighter.

HOWEVER.... as a result of having been on this board for a bit, I've learned that's just a little scarey. I can honestly say that there is no way I'd consider using it for an event. It's still supposed to be a 150mw unit inside a case that's not much bigger than a couple packs of cigarettes and I can fully believe that there is IR leakage as previously discussed or a whole host of other issues that could crop up. (I don't have any testing equipment) BUT for tearing down to understand how they work, or basement experimentation, or aiming on the ceiling of a tent at your backyard private party or something, $10 isn't a bad price to pay for a rather cool little unit.

Just spend a while looking at completed sales of these on eekbay and a few are getting them as low as 26$ total. Knowing that I would not pay moar than 30$ for one ATM and they may in time get even cheaper.

May put on on each end of the projector I am building just for the added sound active efxs. cave man ez

looking at completed ebay sales I find that a few are going as low as 24$ shipped free from china-cant get the lasers and drivers for that. auction sniper time!!!
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 09-01-2010 at 12:39.

I purchased 2 of the cheap one's of Ebay. It was around $75 for the pair in a black casing.

Just about as good as the galaxian..

Using Auction-Sniper I just won a China Bliss 150mW RG twinkle laser for 27$ and free shipping. They wanted 34.98 for a buy-it-now.