Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galaxian / Twinkle lasers

Default Galaxian / Twinkle lasers

I have been wanting a "twinkle laser" for a while but could not justify the cost for just one effect. After thinking about it, I wondered why i could not just make a ilda file to replicate a twinkle laser..

So far I have just made a ilda with alot of little random dots. I then rotate it slowly .
    Has a good effect.

I can upload mine if anyone wants.. its just random. not in a geometric pattern.

curious if anyone else has made a twinkle laser type ilda files and if they care to share them.

nothing special
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cool

Not something that you can really do with an ilda file, twinkling lasers use a rotating diffraction grating. Scanners can't move quick enough to replicate that.
    I have a twinkling laser, cost £60 for 60mw green, 120 mw red; great little effect then use my main head for animations etc.

Well worth £60 imo

Lightbulb fireworks+strobe flash Laser Light System Show

Here is a site on EBAY that has the real price of $39.95 ea for the good Star laser unit. I just got 2 of these and they work great for the money.
    • Laser: 100mw@650nm+50mw@532nm(Red+Green).

• Play Mode: Sound Active, AUTO,Speed adjustment,Strobe flash control.

Wow - what a deal!

I've always wanted one of those "bliss-light" type effects. But the cheapest one's I've seen on E-bay were always around $120 or so. For $40 bucks, this is a deal!

Just ordered one.

Adam

Talking Cheap Stars

Hi Again. You will be shocked at the size of the pattern they through out. I have 2 mounted on my light bar for the stage, it lights up every where and bright. Quiet motor in them also. Even strobes to music. These are normaly more expensive than $39.99 Enjoy, John

Thumbs up

Cool! Thanks for posting the link. Glad to hear you've had good luck with yours. I might get another one if the price holds out at this level, but I had to get at least one!

Adam

Can someone post a pic of the guts of this. I was thinking about getting this http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11190 but I don't think he is actually interested in selling them, so I figure I can just rip one of these apart.

-Brooks

EDIT: Do you think those gratings in the cheap unit can handle 4W?
    Last edited by KGB; 07-23-2010 at 20:29.
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

Smile

I talked with Dan Goldsmith at X-laser about some rotating grating modules he had a while back, trying to convince him to offer them for sale here on PL. Maybe I can get him to bring one or two to SELEM so we can play with them. From the description, they sound very similar to what Andy97 was talking about, thought the prices for the unit's Dan had were a bit higher.

I don't know if the gratings in the units on E-bay can handle that kind of power. My guess is, probably not. I'm assuming it's nothing more than a thin sheet of plastic holographic film, rather than a true engraved glass grating. As such, it's probably not much different that those paper "laser glasses" that they sell at planetarium laser shows for $1.00 a pair. (These are the things you can buy in bulk on E-bay for 20 cents each.) Sure, they'll handle a few hundred mw... Maybe even 500 mw. But 5 watts? Doubt it.

Then again, the unit on e-bay only costs 40 bucks. Why not pick one up and play with it? Worst case, if you smoke one of the gratings, all you need to do is replace it with more of that film and you're good to go. (And if you did want to modify it to work with a multi-watt laser, you could at least re-use the motors and mounts, and just spend a little extra to get glass HOE's to put in there.)

Adam

Just FYI those little units are in almost all cases (at least every one I have ever tested) IIIB so you have perhaps some legal hoops to worry about. Also, they have the tendency to have really bad IR leakage and I had one flame out on me... literally.

They are super poorly made so just use caution.