Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM - required equipment thread

Question NEED LCD or DLP projector and wireless microphone for SELEM and for Safety Seminar

Hey guys;

Does anyone have either an LCD or a DLP projector that they could bring to SELEM? It would need to be someone who is planning on staying for Casey Stack's Laser Safety Seminar on Monday...

Reason I ask is that the guy I had lined up to bring one may not be able to attend now. And I'd like to have one available at SELEM, but I'll *need* one on Monday for Casey's presentation. (He's got slides on his laptop that he'll need to display for the group.)

I'm thinking that with the recent run on those Casio "slim green" projectors, someone ought to have one of those laying around that they can bring, right?

Also, it's not required, but it would be nice if someone could bring a wireless microphone. I've got a wired mic that we can use if we have to, but a wireless one would be much nicer. So, anyone have one that they'd be willing to bring with them to SELEM?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey guys;

Does anyone have either an LCD or a DLP projector that they could bring to SELEM? It would need to be someone who is planning on staying for Casey Stack's Laser Safety Seminar on Monday...
    Adam,

If all else fails I have one I could either ship to you or perhaps meet up with EVIL Adam on his way to NC.

Jim

I can bring my wireless mic, but it will have to go back with me Monday morning.

Chris

Smile

Chris;

That would be great! We won't need the wireless mic for Monday anyway.

Jim;

I appreciate the offer, but I'd like to get a projector without having to ship one. Don't want to risk it being damaged in the mail. Besides, I'm sure *someone* has one of those Casio projectors sitting on a shelf in their closet, right?

Come on guys - anyone got one that they wouldn't mind bringing to SELEM?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by -=Jim=- View Post
    Adam,

If all else fails I have one I could either ship to you or perhaps meet up with EVIL Adam on his way to NC.

Jim
    Hey Jim,
    Thanks for the offer. I do have an LCD projector I can bring but I still don't know whether I'm flying or driving. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.....
    Thanks!
    Adam

Question Graphics shows....

What about considerations for graphics shows?

I haven't seen the proposed layout yet, but I would think if we're setting up on scaffolding, we probably don't want to be flipping equipment around to shoot on the back wall.

Do we need to plan on setting up a couple of portable scrims?

I can tote my portable 10' x 10' "SkeetaScrim" if it might be needed.

I figure there might be a couple of Mike Dunn shows that the group hasn't experienced yet.....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Smile

300Evil;

Re: projector - I think I've got this covered. Jeff (RGB-gas) just sent me a PM saying that he's got one he almost positive he can bring. Will let you know for sure in a day or two.

Randy: Please bring your skeeta-scrim. We may be able to use it for a couple different things.

Regarding graphics shows, my plan was to display them on the back wall (on the "cyclorama" that they have hanging back there - which is basically just muslin cloth). And since we normally only use one projector for a graphics show, we'll pick one that has good modulation response and enough power to make a bright image. In year's past, we've used DZ's projector for that, though we don't have to use only his, if someone else would like to display something.

As for the scaffold layout, Jeff and I are still working on the final design, but I do have a preliminary drawing that I can post:

Like I said, this is a work in progress, but the plan is to have a double-stack of scaffold on either side of the stage with a truss at the very top of each one for mounting different equipment, plus a shelf at the 7 ft level and a shelf at the 3 ft level. The long shelf in the middle between the two main scaffold sections is purposefully set low so graphics projectors can be placed there and aimed back at the cyclorama to run graphics shows. (They can also be turned around to run beam shows into the auditorium.)

The shelves will be 24 inches wide (or rather, deep - that is, distance from front to back), so there shouldn't be any problems with setting large projectors on them. Also, the middle shelf will have at least a pair of supports in the center, if not more.

If people thing we need more space, we could put a second long shelf in the middle at the 7 ft level, but this would make it difficult to view graphics shows on the cyclorama, which is why we only have one shelf in the current design. So if you've got comments or suggestions about this plan, please speak up now.

Adam

Thanks for bringing this up, Stuka. I think the better prepared we are the easier this will be. I have no clue as to how many projectors we'll have, but I'm guessing it'll be more than last year.

Buffo, I like the layout, I'm wondering though, if we should have an additional shelf/table setup between the front of the stage and the cyclorama. Somewhere around the distro, maybe a bit closer to the cyclorama. If I remember, we had 2 or 3 table rows setup last year in this configuration and they were completely full.

For graphic shows, when the projectors are turned toward the cyclorama, maybe we should close off the section around the distro as sort of a "hot" zone.

Any to everyone bringing equipment. Since this event is going to be a good bit bigger, you might want to label your cables and/or tools.

Adam -

The layout looks good!
    Given the growth in participation, that wil probably be the route we'll need to take from here on out...cool!!

I'm in full agreement with DZ concerning the more we prepare, the better! (and the "hot zone" idea sounds good, too!!)

With that in mind, might I suggest we actually start listing the major equipment items we plan to bring?
    (Might help with the pre-event master planning)

Also, for whoever is going to be the administrator of the SELEM LaserLAN, it would probably save quite a bit of time - and frustration - if a network address scheme were established prior to arrival, so we could quickly setup the computers with pre-assigned addresses as needed.
    (BTW - the QM.NET addresses could be changed, but I personally would prefer not to, since we could be "dead-in-the-water" if we develop network issues with the box itself).

As far as a "master projector" for the graphics shows, that sounds like a pretty good idea -
    we'll just need to leave it accessible to switch out controllers, since there might be some new graphics shows secured to a particular controller (hint, hint...)

Here's my major gear list so far:

Laptop
    QM2000.net @ 192.168.1.150
    RGB projector
    DZ argon lumia projector (stand-alone)
    Chinese DMX "Nebulaser" (Bliss-light 'ish)
    Mackie 1202 12-ch mixer
    (2) speaker / light stands with bounce mirrors
    Portable SkeetaScrim stand (10' x 10')
    Antari Z-300 Fazer

New show contributions:

Custom beams - none
    (unless you count the partially-completed TSO show I started working on LAST year.... )

Graphics (Mike Dunn variety, secured - which means no sharing - sorry!) -
    1 each: Pink Floyd, Santana, Collective Soul;
    3 each: U2

Last edited by Stuka; 07-22-2010 at 17:06.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

David;

I didn't add in all the tables in that drawing above, because it made it too cluttered with the measurements for the scaffold. But yeah, there will definitely need to be more tables, and we probably will end up having some in the middle area where the power distribution box is located. My hope is to only have computers and related gear on those tables though, so that all the projectors can be on the scaffold up front.

I absolutely encourage *everyone* to label all their equipment - especially little things like cables, cords, flashlights, and power strips. It's amazing how easily those things can get lost...

Randy;

As for the LAN administrator, I think that's going to be Aaron. And if we do things the same way as last time, we'll use the DHCP server that's built-in to the router to configure everyone's IP address automatically. Aaron will still have to assign each projector to a projection zone manually, but that's something he's done several times before. Once it's done, Aaron's machine will become the master controller for all LD-2000 machines on the network.

When it comes time to show content from other LD-2000 systems, Aaron will have to move to that machine and re-configure the zones on that machine. It's not hard, and once he's got it done on his machine he can copy the data to a document and paste it in on the other machine in no time. (Then that machine will be able to control all LD-2000 systems on the network.)

I'm probably going to ask that all Pangolin LD-2000 owners plug their systems into the network so they can be synchronized with the .net application. That will leave the maximum number of ports free on the ILDA splitter for non-Pangolin projectors. This way, people who are not running Pangolin can plug their projectors into the splitter, and their projector will be able to display the same shows as all the Pangolin ones.

And when it comes time to watch shows from other controllers (like Full Auto, Mamba, or even shows made with Spaghetti and displayed on a sound card DAC), we can plug that one controller into the splitter box and still have at least 10 projectors running those shows!

Adam