Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laserman532 OCTOMOM II - The Rebirth

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey View Post
    If the top and bottom rows were in the opposite zigzag pattern, that alone may allow
    room for prism pairs if someone wanted. maybe need extended a tad before the PBS.
    and room for a scope maybe. The only other thing would be either custom diode mounts with different heights, or shims maybe to get the knife edge in the other axis, if wanted. That one is a pain to tackle.

Its already just about perfect as is though!
    Well if one wants prisms... If I were to add the prisms, I would remove the mount mirror and the pbs, add a plate in front of the knife edged beams for the prisms and the bounce mirror and pbs/mount. sort of like an optical lego. Going on that line of thought, I would also split the octo into two quads in the same design. One thing I would like to see on most new plates is a U-slot rather than just a bolt hole, I like jiggle room!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Prism/cylinder lens correction only really lends itself to a pair of knife-edged beams if you want a small diameter beam, so practically 4 diodes is your limit.

Correcting half of the octo will yield about a 4mm high but 8mm wide beam so you now need large mirror galvos.
    With all that mirror space you may as well square up things and combine 16 diodes in an 8mm/.9mR beam. Or you could forget correcting all together and combine 32 diodes in an 8mm/1.8mR beam.

Options.. options..

For a simple octo I would personally suffer the ~1.8mR uncorrected beam, layout something like Pat's drawing, all diodes fast axis vertical, the top 4 holders/mirrors would be .5" higher than the lower 4, the 90 degree steering mirror before the cube would be replaced with a pair of mirrors in an X/Y galvo mirror configuration (poor man's 1/4 wave plate) then cube together for a 4mm/1.8mR 8-10W puppy
    Last edited by p1t8ull; 07-14-2010 at 00:23.