Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wings like this ---O--- on open can red diode beam

I decided to crap can the diodes and go with 642nm 150mw diodes. 2 of those will kick the butts of 4 of the 660's. Since I have a quad I can add two more later. Plus the beam quality of the 642nm diodes is superior to the 660's. I had one before but switched to the 660's to have a deeper red but I'd rather go back to the 642's for the clean beam and higher visibility.

I'm guessing 300mw of 642 should =at least 600mw 660

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    That's also present on the 445nm diodes, except its a full rectangular halo. The wings/halo are caused by light leakage around the edges of the diode die and they can be found on most higher-powered diodes.. the only way I can think of to eliminate them completely would be to use a spatial filter.
    unpractical

15 chars
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/no...ide-41751.html

I found this regarding an attempt to use apertures to stop the wings. Didn't work. Well I'm moving to 642 diodes. I don't remember seeing wings on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    unpractical

15 chars
    Very true.. I alluded to that in post #10. It is the only 100% sure way to get rid of any unwanted beam structure that I'm aware of.. Singlemode fiber output is pretty clean though, and would likely do just as well. It would seem to depend on just how much improvement is required or desired.

Very true.. I alluded to that in post #10. It is the only 100% sure way to get rid of any unwanted beam structure that I'm aware of.. Singlemode fiber output is pretty clean though, and would likely do just as well. It would seem to depend on just how much improvement is required or desired.
    you wont get one of these lasers into single mode fiber either...

what ever...this has gone way past the cruxt of the biscuit.

unpractical
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Just sharing thoughts.. sure, for the average joe they are impractical, but if a question is asked (which it was, and practicality was not specified by the OP) I'll answer it to the best of my ability. The question pertained to the removal of the wings from a 660nm diode's output. I answered with the only way I know of to remove the wings.. not sure what the problem is with that, but as you say.. whatever.

So far allthat's response will give the best results IMO.. (wow, strangely I feel like I'm repeating myself.. must just be deja vu ).

Just sharing thoughts.. sure, for the average joe they are impractical, but if a question is asked (which it was, and practicality was not specified by the OP) I'll answer it to the best of my ability. The question pertained to the removal of the wings from a 660nm diode's output. I answered with the only way I know of to remove the wings.. not sure what the problem is with that, but as you say.. whatever.

So far allthat's response will give the best results IMO.. (wow, strangely I feel like I'm repeating myself.. must just be deja vu ).
    haha...i'll submit...a small spray of wing remover might work better
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Well crap, didn't even think about that.. being an off-and-on pilot I tend to stay the hell away from wing remover.