Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just starting the hobby, anything i need to know before buying my first laser?

Quote Originally Posted by johnpoe12 View Post
    can you recommend a good controller and a good (affordable) software?
    Pangolin's quickshow is is good.... and reasonably priced....

Let me know if you want to buy a Varianced projector... I can make yours to order and will get you your variance and everything...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by johnpoe12 View Post
    can you recommend a good controller and a good (affordable) software?
    There are lots of solutions available, depending on your budget and your eventual goals. A question you need to ask yourself is: "Do I ever plan on doing shows commercially?" If the answer is "yes" or "maybe", that will have a big effect on which controller and software you buy.

Personally, I've tried quite a few different packages, including the Alphalite XC Pro, X-29 / Full Auto, Mamba Black w/ Easylase, Sound card DAC w/ Spaghetti, and both the Pangolin QM-32 and LD-2000 systems. Having said that, I'm a huge fan of the Pangolin LD-2000 system, and I recommend it to anyone who can afford it. (Truthfully, I wish someone had convinced me to buy it right from the start several years ago. I could have saved a lot of time and thousands of dollars.) But I also recognize that some people can't justify spending $1500 on their software and controller solution - especially if they're never going to do commercial shows.

Still, if the LD-2000 system is out of the question, consider the Pangolin FB3 controller with the Quickshow software that Rick mentioned above. It is more affordable (at around $600), and still offers world-class performance.

The thing to remember is that this is an expensive hobby, and in just about every case, you get what you pay for. People balk at the high price tag of the Pangolin LD-2000 system, but once you see everything you get with it (including over 100 pre-programmed shows, 3 discs worth of artwork you can use in your own shows, an abstract generator, an SMS-message-to-laser text generator, the game "Asteroids" that you can play on your laser projector, the Trace-it engine, the live-video-to-laser application, a 3D frame editor, a live player, and the showtime time-line editor, plus other extras), you begin to understand why it's actually a bargain.

This is another reason why I suggested that you attend a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting before you buy anything. At a LEM, you'll have a chance to see various software and controller packages in operation side-by-side so you can easily compare them. People will normally let you play around with their systems so you can get a feel for the kinds of things you like and don't like. And of course, you can ask lots of questions. By the end of the event, you'll have a good idea about what you want to buy. At that point, it's just down to how long you'll have to save your pennies to buy it.

Adam

San Diego California in the United States

Thank you sir buffo. You have been very helpful!

Red face Pangolin

Ok, at the risk of hearing a score of giggles from the forum, here it goes. Gulp.......is there such a thing as a "poor man's" Pangolin? Pre-made shows, etc....?

Please forgive, for I am a newbie to the craft.

Lightbulb

I would say the FB3 is the poorman's Pangolin, but the QM2000 comes with all the premade shows. IMO the number of shows that come with the QM2000 make it a far better deal than going with the FB3... well there is that quickshow thing... Rumor has it, us QM owners will be QS owners here soon though.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Default Quickshow

I saw the Quickshow on EBay for around $500. Is it worth it? A good starter to create shows? Also, are their pre made designs, or do you have to do all the art work yourself? Right now I am mainly trying out different light reflectors, witnessing the "hows" and "whys". I am also learning some basic electronics to get me started before I get to the big stuff. But it is good to obtain all the background that I can.

Lightbulb

Um... Adam; he can answer this better than I can. I am a QM2000 man, but I want to get this pit to start spitting money back out.

Default Quickshow

Is Adam his username? I am sure you want to see the returns for the investment! Are you out there giving laser shows? I have seen all kinds of things online....birthday parties, dances, clubs, concerts....I have some ideas from a more art installation aspect myself. So many ideas....

Lightbulb

No, Buffo is Adam's username; he has posted several page length posts on the FB3 and its features.

As for shows, I am making beam shows but I do not have a "legal" projector with a variance to be doing professional shows in public. I am almost there, need to put an emission light on the front, add some stickers and do some paperwork.

I am pretty sure I met Adam at SELEM....I think. By paperwork, are you meaning all the legal stuff? It is my understanding that there is a lot of regulation around these days, am I right? Having a legal projector.... is it because of the potential dangers to the public? Is it from a heat perspective or "beam to the eyes" persepctive?