Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just starting the hobby, anything i need to know before buying my first laser?

Quote Originally Posted by displaserschik View Post
    is it because of the potential dangers to the public? Is it from a heat perspective or "beam to the eyes" persepctive?
    Both if you're talking class IV shows.. just the eyes if IIIb. All the regulation is intended to keep the public safe, that's the idea anyway..

Thank you-

Where do you find out what class level a show is? Is it listed somewhere?

this should be pretty accurate for the new system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Revised_system but the CW powers for each level are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Old_system which still apply as far as I know.

Default Public shows

I also am looking for the investment pay back like "Allthatwitchis" and have found it to be some what of chalange, almost thair!

@ displaserschic: try the FDA CDHR website to get your mind set (boogeld). www.FDA.radiation emitting products under CDHR heading this mite give you a better idea
    of class of lasers and class of laser shows, thairs alot their absorb it slowly and take notes and ask us Q's
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Thumbs up

@all replies-thank you all, you have been so much help!

I stumbled across something very cool last night....I have this piggy bank with this gravel like textured glass.....immediately grabbed my laser pointer and went to it....it created the most amazing patterns on my wall! I am going to take pics and post soon. Some of the patterns were HUGE! Beleive it or not, I was also able to get a pretty amazing pattern from the plastic bag I put my clothes in when I travel...very different, but very cool.

@beamann-I will keep my QQQ's to the forum, as I know you guys totally know what you are doing!

Default Making Your Own Laser Pointer

Ok experts-

I am able to get my hands on a diode to create a blue laser pointer. Are there directions on DO'S and DONT'S that I should be aware of?

What you're describing is basically what is called a "lumia" effect.. textured glass is used in professional laser shows to create that effect.

DO make a laser show module instead, DON'T make a pointer..

but really, if you MUST make a pointer, just be insanely careful.. like holding a loaded firearm careful because portables made with these new blue diodes are exceedingly dangerous. And no, I'm not overstating it.

Default LUMIA

Yes, that's right! I always forget what it is called. It was verrrry cool. Some of the effects covered the entire ceiling in my room.

Default Blue Pointer

@elektrofreak - ok, maybe I am not ready for that kind of responsibility yet.