Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Just starting the hobby, anything i need to know before buying my first laser?

Default Lumia - Revisited

Has anyone ever created their own textured glass? Maybe to obtain something original?

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchik View Post
    Ok experts-

I am able to get my hands on a diode to create a blue laser pointer. Are there directions on DO'S and DONT'S that I should be aware of?
    http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/new...x?docID=642932

150mw ie 0.15 watts. The blue pointer you desire is 1 watt!!

Better off with a projectior if you want shows as others have said. Far more control-able.

As for QS, QS isn't really a show creation software its a live playback software like Live Pro although there is some show creation facility in there, via Quick Timeline, its limited.

I can't put a screenshot up as I'm running the beta 2.0 and a unique version at that, so I can't post it publically.

The QS web site is here though:

http://www.pangolin.com/QS/

For live playback, I doubt you'll find any other non professional software that comes close.

Here's a group y'all might enjoy: http://holography.ning.com/group/lightarts

Be sure to check out Frank DeFreitas' Cape May Diamond created prints there, and on the main site.

Default Lumia Videos

@beamann - finally got a chance to check out the videos! Awesome! I am all about the lumia right now. Such cool effects....

Has anyone ever created their own textured glass? Maybe to obtain something original?
    Steve (mixedgas on here) sent me some of his homegrown creations that worked great. He used a torch to torture some glass tubes.
    I had amazing luck with a 99 cent salt shaker- half the fun is experimenting with whatever you find.
    -Mike

Default Make Your Own Lumia

Thanx mikkojay, I do have a few ideas that I am kicking around. If any of them produce something cool, I will post.

Default I like your avatar

@beamann - finally got a chance to check out the videos! Awesome! I am all about the lumia right now. Such cool effects....
    @ LASERCHIK,
    Awesome avatar!!! I have made lots of lumina wheels,disks, and blanks.
    1) get a hold of any clear peace of glass or plastic, broken or in some form of a geometric shape " shape is not important" clean it real well to be oil, dirt and grease free and buff it streak free, Then get some "clear silicone glue or caulk and take a small amount and smear it on one side of the glass or plastic you are using (thin coat only) it dose not need to be even or toltaly coated just a smear using finger tip. cotton swab, cloth, or anything you want to use to apply it to the blank. As you can texture the glue any way you want with anything you want, press texuring item agenst glue and lift up just keep the amount of glue you use very thin, let it dry over night 12-24 hours. shine your laser through that!

2) You can do the same trick with vaseline in the same way, this will allow for you to use one blank and many texure items to exsperiment as you can wipe off the vaseline and try some other texture method, to find one you like befor going to the silicone way.

3) you can buy texured glass and texured plastics from hobby stores like hobby lobby and a like or at a place that sells glass panes for windows Lowel's, Home depot, and Ace hardware. Plastic is the easer to work with, cutting, shapping and mounting to a D.C. motor, if you want. I have used the plastic lenes off of solar cells that have the round dots to focus the light better on the solar cell that it covers, in fact it is one of my favorits when mounted to a D.C. motor to spin the blank slowly, Way cool!
    Try thrift stores in the glass and dishes area to find blanks that my work for you, I go every were with my laser pointer and I am always shinning it on some thing, looking to see what kind of effects I can get from a item.

Go to WWW.YOUTUBE and serch "GODSLIGHTSHOWS" and see my uploaded video, there is two, both are the same. The oldest was recorded off my phone and uploaded sideways and is small and low sound. The newest was recorded by ALLTHATWITHIS "a pl board member" and is alot bigger. way better sound but a bit out of focus and limited color but of the two it's the better video of the laser show module I created. It's dedicated to my wife! He got the timming off the music to animation a little bit as well, but still better than the resources I had avalible to do it my self.
    let me know what you think.
    If you are interested in the lumina wheel I made to sell to the public, PM me or go to my web site WWW.GODSLIGHTSHOWS.COM and use the contact me button and I'll show you how to make your own, It's very unique and nobody has one like it.
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Default Experimental Lumia

@beamann - thx on the avatar compliment, I am soooo into vampires. Would love to do a laser show using this as a theme.....you know, kind of dark and scary.

As far as lumia, what about using a thinly spread out epoxy that hardens to a thin plastic? I know you mentioned silicone....will an epoxy on plastic be cloudy once I append the different textures I want to apply?

Checked out the videos-I liked the graphics! Nice that you dedicated to your wife...

Default Hummm

@beamann - thx on the avatar compliment, I am soooo into vampires. Would love to do a laser show using this as a theme.....you know, kind of dark and scary.

As far as lumia, what about using a thinly spread out epoxy that hardens to a thin plastic? I know you mentioned silicone....will an epoxy on plastic be cloudy once I append the different textures I want to apply?

Checked out the videos-I liked the graphics! Nice that you dedicated to your wife...
    @ laserchik,
    I realy don't know, I do know that the silicone works very well.
    I would imagen as long as the epoxy drys clear, it should pass light, the only thing that might be a problem is that epoxys tend to stay fluid until a few moments be for hardening, giving any texture imprints time to smooth out completely. Give it a shot, you have nothing to loose and all to gain. I'll will give it a try as well!
    Plexiglass softens in about 150 -200 degrees, maybe you could put a plexiglass blank in the oven and place imprinting items on top to create some interesting textures or lay a heated soft plexiglass on some texured surface to get a imprint. I'll check that out as well.
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Thumbs up Epoxy

Hi All
    I try 5 minutes Epoxy and 12 min.
    Both work berry well (texture and good lumina effect)Texture with a tooth pick.
    But the 12 min looks more clear and I manage to do a big wheel 12" and WOW.
    I also put some High power leds and Make some shadows and the result:
    Best eye candy ever I see.
    Cheers,
    Eduardo
    PS in the pic just 1 royal blue led.And I put a plastic in the front but with more colors and in the ceiling WOW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0901.JPG  

Last edited by megaton; 09-12-2010 at 22:00. Reason: oops