Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The noob scanner project (aka The Noober) diary

Laser Warning Occularis' build project diary (Updated several times / day)

Figured I might as well start a little diary for my project, properly named as well! (renamed thread 2010-03-04. -Although I still think That "The Noober" (Noob+Scanner) is a suitable name for my scanner )

Edit: DOH! That just put a title on the post.. oh well, I guess I'm stuck with the old thread title, haha!

Today was yet another day of getting to hate stepper motors and wanting galvos, so I figured I'm actually gonna start making some tomorrow.
    Other than that, I harvested a pretty little DVD-RW LD, made some adjustable mounts for the lasers (waiting for that order from Stonetek) and went rummaging through the scrap to find pieces for my galvo-build .
    Edit: Also rememberred to actually order the cmedia soundcard for the DAC

Adjustable mount with 6 pairs of brackets prepared for more lasers.

DVD-RW LD test without collimation
    -Oh, and to the upper right you can see the bloody stepper motors. I WILL get them working, but not until I've tried building some galvos of my own!

-And yeah, my phone-camera sucks.
    Last edited by Occularis; 03-04-2010 at 10:33.

Interesting shaped mounts.
    I like triangular things

Can I ask why they are that shape? They look quite big for the job.

Ta,
    Dan

P.S. I'd personally take the 'noob' terms out. Looks tacky in my opinion.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Interesting shaped mounts.
    I like triangular things

Can I ask why they are that shape? They look quite big for the job.

Ta,
    Dan

P.S. I'd personally take the 'noob' terms out. Looks tacky in my opinion.
    The triangular bits were that shape when i found them in the "to be recycled"-room. I simply added a bunch of holes and bolts to utilize the existing v-cut at the ends, effectively creating an adjustable faceplate for the lasermodules =)

-the 'noob' term is just there to point out that it's my first build, and that I AM very much a noob when it comes to building scanners, however I'm also extremely stubborn and will probably rename the whole thing a few times during the process.

Oh, and another thing; I dont mean to offend anyone in any way. I've been told I have a weird sense of humour many times, and my english isn't as good as I wish it was , so if something looks really odd in my grammar, or offensive, please point it out to me.

Day 2 of build diary.

Morning: Salvaging stuff thrown away by others has so far resulted in 7x ball bearings from 80mm fans, 3x 76x3mm axles from dvd's (fits the ball bearings perfectly), a 7x14x0.6" alu plate, 2x parallax servos, some kind of alu mounting sled for servos (anodized blue), and some kind of really robust pneumatics-mounting thing that kinda looks like a galvo-mount!

Now I'm gonna start making the bobbins for the galvos.
    Edit: No I'm not. Salvaging nedodymium magnets from some scrapped harddrives first. Damn those suckers are strong! Using only one thicker magnet to make the others snap out of their own glue is cool
    Edit: Blah! Tring to modify neomagnets from HDD's to fit on a 3mm axle, without having access to a watercooled grinder = magnets turned into crap. I'm just gonna go buy a pack of small ones instead.
    If anyone else is going to try this, make sure you dont have any flammable liquids nearby when you try to cut the magnets. I almost started a small fire on the bench when I was using a file

Pics and updates for the day will come a bit later.
    Last edited by Occularis; 03-03-2010 at 02:59.

Smile

Hi Occularis;

Wow - looks like you've been busy! I like those mounts; they look massive.

You are to be commended for trying to build your own galvos from scratch. I hope this works out well for you. For sure it's not something I'd want to attempt, but it seems you are making good progress, so with luck you'll succeed.

Oh, and don't worry about your sense of humor - we know where you're coming from. Best of luck to you with this!

Adam

Thanks Buffo =) I actually think that the galvos are going to be a really fun challenge. And I'm not aiming for more than maybe 10-15kpps at best, most likely I'll land at 7kpps . As long as they work, I'll be happy ^^. Been looking all over for 0.3mm UEW, but could only find 0.2mm so I'm gonna go with that.

Here's some pics of todays salvaged stuff:

Harvesting ball bearings for galvos. (There's 2 in each 80mm fan!)

Servos, baseplate + mount, some kind of sled (the blue thing), ball bearings + axles and some alu distance-nuts or whatever they're called.

Mount again...

Top of mount. I dont know if I'll use it for galvos or lasers

Edit: Ahaaaa! Found a useful link that explains the galvo scanner basics and general construction: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/MEOS/EXP28.pdf
    Now I've got some ideas for other alu parts I've saved "just in case" . It's gonna be fun to see if it works, in that case my weirdo galvos should do quite well! Now i just need to find a proper amp-schematic and check if I've got the proper parts for the PSU-units.

Cya tomorrow.
    Last edited by Occularis; 03-03-2010 at 12:19.

Mornin'! Day 3 begins...

Found some old dc motor gearboxes this morning. Stripping them down to use the housing (which has 3mm ball bearings in it) for future galvos. They also had the nice alu endcap-thingy that will be shaped to hold the mirrors.

I need to find some place that sells tube-shaped neomagnets that I wont have to pay an arm and a leg for. So far I've only found cylindrical ones, a few with holes, but that's not good enough for me since they're only 4mm thick

I've decided to make my first galvos pretty crude, using 10x4mm "buttonshaped" neomagnets (4 on each rotor + 1 stabilizer if needed), bonding them to the rotor "as is" with some cut down rotorbits as spacing between the magnets.
    Should work just fine for a first build.

-Back to the slaughter of gearboxes, and then setting up to make the coils.

Later:
    -Santa came early! I just recieved my shipment from stonetek =) Time to harvest some sweet Blu-rays! (and a 20x dvd-rw)
    (LOL! Got 2 stickers as well... "DANG!! Do not look into laser with remaining eye" -That made my day )

Edit: @home, uploading images:

20x DVD-RW LD mounted in aixiz module, collimated and tested @ 230mA. Works like a charm! (Bottom right corner shows a DDL-driver with anti-resonance(?) capacitors@8,5nf. Great for testing all kinds of LD's. Thx Daedal!)

405nm HD LD @ 110mA (burns stuff at 1500mm distance, me like!) I'm not holding a mirror, it's the little yellowish plastic box that the 20x DVD LD came in (top of next pic).
    Hmmm... Are there any 405nm dichros in the sled the LD's came in...? I would really love to get all three HD LDs' in the scanner...

My Aixiz-press

Santas' delivery

Crude magnet rotor on project board

Gearbox housings, a circuitboard with op-amp ic's to be harvested, neomagnets, more axles, project board, a coil-array from a floppydrive (lol), some optics and a 5mW red LD and a black alu block that will probably house a LD of sorts, and future mirrormounts for the galvos.

A bloody mess

---

Now I'm going to relax for a while, anyone else play Battlefield Heroes?
    Last edited by Occularis; 03-04-2010 at 10:29.

Day 4.

How am I supposed to get any work done when I keep finding more stuff to harvest?

Found a neat little box to store all the optics I've gathered from scrap (including a few mirrors)

Ok, better get to it... -Old-school style

Hmmm, these coils might just work...

-Ive had a rough day so this is it for now, more to come on monday if I dont get any bright ideas during the weekend.

Love the workbench with all the instruments inlet into the trunking.

Good grief! You've got a lot of bits and pieces there... Any luck actually getting the rotor to move yet?

Adam