Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 445 Damage

Default 445 Damage

Just a very quick note...

i *purposely* tried to pop a 445 diode tonight to see its damage threshold in careless handling procedures. these were my results. Obviously nothing scientific, just some everyday, "joe average" handling procedures and what to expect...

1- dropped diode on concrete from workbench height= still lased
    2- dropped diode on carpeting from workbench height= still lased
    3- handling diode by can (NO static strap)= Still lased
    4- handling diode by pins (NO Static strap)= Still lased
    5- held in hand and walked around house (carpeting and non carpeted floors)= still lased
    6- held solder iron on pins for >3 seconds= still lased
    7- rubbed diode on my t-shirt= still lased
    8- reversed polarity hookup (NO diode protection. just jerked power supply up to ~4V then back off. I did not notice the current draw)= Still lased after proper polarity connection.

I think their were a couple others, but these were the most impressive.

*DISCALIMER*

As i said before, none of this is Scientific. just simple "everyday" poor handling procedures and what their likely outcome would be. Obviously i am not suggesting to everyone to throw safe handling practices out and to ignore proper static protocol. i was just pretty damn impressed how resilient these things really are.

I thought that if i looked at these 445's wrong, they would pop. But i guess not.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Pretty cool. I don't use Lasorbs so it is good to hear they are pretty good on their own. If you want to try something else try back reflection off of a piece of metal or something. The red diodes hate even just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post

i *purposely* tried to pop a 445 diode tonight to see its damage threshold in careless handling procedures. these were my results. Obviously nothing scientific, just some everyday, "joe average" handling procedures and what to expect...

1- dropped diode on concrete from workbench height= still lased
    2- dropped diode on carpeting from workbench height= still lased
    3- handling diode by can (NO static strap)= Still lased
    4- handling diode by pins (NO Static strap)= Still lased
    5- held in hand and walked around house (carpeting and non carpeted floors)= still lased
    6- held solder iron on pins for >3 seconds= still lased
    7- rubbed diode on my t-shirt= still lased
    8- reversed polarity hookup (NO diode protection. just jerked power supply up to ~4V then back off. I did not notice the current draw)= Still lased after proper polarity connection.

I think their were a couple others, but these were the most impressive.

*DISCALIMER*

As i said before, none of this is Scientific. just simple "everyday" poor handling procedures and what their likely outcome would be. Obviously i am not suggesting to everyone to throw safe handling practices out and to ignore proper static protocol. i was just pretty damn impressed how resilient these things really are.

I thought that if i looked at these 445's wrong, they would pop. But i guess not.

-Marc
    Try Nos. 5 and 7 during the winter and see if your results don't change a bit..

These are some seriously robust diodes though.. I've put a few of mine through some torture so far and they're still going strong.

Good info for users of these diodes.

Do you have any idea of the relative humidity where you did the testing ?

I haven't damaged any of mine either, although I put a few thru some high-G forces.

LarryDFW

I've never ever had a problem with ESD on my diodes, but living in the tropics and the continual high humidity is probably why :P

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post

i *purposely* tried to pop a 445 diode tonight to see its damage threshold in careless handling procedures. these were my results. Obviously nothing scientific, just some everyday, "joe average" handling procedures and what to expect...<snip>
    They are fairly tough. Much more like hefty 808nm chips than delicate red or violet. You might want to re-post your tests in the "445nm diode info" thread. I posted results of similar testing there. I did get some of mine to fail though :-)

As often with semiconductors, there can be "hidden minor" damage from ESD, which is not easy if at all to observe (eg by elevated threshold current), but which leads to catastrophic loss later, in other words to a substantial lifetime reduction. Best would be to mark such diodes in order not to be surprised if they die next month "without any obvious reason".

That's great new! Thanks Marc.

I went full retard earlier and accidentally hooked up the leads backwards on the diode attached to a flexmod @ 12v. Feed time before realizing the error was about 1 second.

So... Unless I missed something we can add that to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I went full retard earlier.....
    I think you mean "Ri-ttard"

lol, sorry...reference to the movie "The Hangover!"

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems