Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations - LED torch

Default Recommendations - LED torch

i need a small but power LED torch for when out and about doing laser shows.

any recommendations?

needs to run on something like AA batteries etc...
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I actually have a sporting goods store and sell a lot of equipment for cavers and the like. I'm a Petzl and Black Diamond dealer. I have to say that the newest Petzl lights are really nice and have come a long way. I would look at the Tikka XP2. The Black Diamond Icon is also pretty good but not terribly durable from my experience and there are issues with battery connections. It has a 3 watt center LED that is fantastic. Another brand that has got a big following is Princeton Tec. I have no experience with them but they are said to be very bright and very durable. The Apex is the most popular model.

Out of everything out there I pick the Petzl Tikka XP2. Up to 60 lumens and up to 160 hour battery life on 3 AAA batteries. US retail is $54.95.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

umm was looking for a little cheaper to be honest.

did see this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

it doesnt need to be silly bright its only to find stuff in boxes etc
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I would really recommend a headlamp style torch so you have your hands free.

I can certainly understand wanting a lower price.

There are a lot of really cheap lights that we have in our much loathed Wal-Marts here in the states. One of the best lights that I have ever seen was an $8.00 Brinkman. I still have the thing and it has never failed.

It is very bright and also runs on 3 AAA batteries. When shopping for a cheap light, don't worry about the number of LEDs. There are some really awful lights that have gobs of LEDs.

What is most important is the reflector. Be sure it has a smooth polished surface and has a decent cone shape to it. The deeper the cone the more of a spot it will produce.

I'm quite sure, given your experience with lasers, you will know what to expect by looking at the reflector.

I bought some headlights from Netto. Very much like the Petzl ones except these cost less than a fiver.

Brilliant is all I can say! Have a choice of 1 LED, 3 LED, or 16 LED's lit or 16 LED's flashing. All white.

I use mine for DIY and was so impressed I bought another as a spare.

Runs on 4 triple AA's from memory.

Won't set the world alight as a search light but plenty bright enough as a headlamp. I thought compared very favourably to the expensive brands.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by White-Light; 07-14-2010 at 14:38.

Andy
    I have a ally Luxeon 3W that came from tescos for less than a tenner. It runs off 2x AA and is brill. Dead rugged and small enough to slip in the pocket while bright enough for any darkend club enviorment

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I use a LED Lenser T7

3w Cree LED, variable zoom (from a tight spot to a wash beam) in seconds.

Runs from 4x AAA batteries in a watertight batter unit.
    Come with a belt pouch (which is extremely useful in a club so you don't loose it) [I work in a club and this is talking from experience! ]

Oh and its EXTREMELY powerful Brightest torch of its size I believe (or at least I've seen in a long time!)

http://www.tools4trade.com/d-2313015...t-It-Pack.aspx

If you have any questions fire away, or if you've ever in London at night you could come down and see it

hea torch is a no, not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Andy
    I have a ally Luxeon 3W that came from tescos for less than a tenner. It runs off 2x AA and is brill. Dead rugged and small enough to slip in the pocket while bright enough for any darkend club enviorment

Rob
    someone at work mentioned this one rob i must go to tescos and have a look

i have looked at some of the lenersthey seem ok
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    head torch is a no, not my thing.
    Oh come on Andy - it will suit you. You know how good Richard looks with his - imagine... that could be you!

As for the Tescos one im on my second as I lost the first doing a job somewhere so went and got me another - see attached for what ya looking for.
    Rob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tescotorch.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	18256
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

all i have to say on the subject rob is not for me

cool will go have a look weekend see what i can find.
    cheap is good encase of getting broken or lost
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat