Thread: We got a problem...

Default We got a problem...

It turns out that ebay has been slagging auctions of lasers like its going out of style...

For some of us its an outlet we cant afford to lose, for others its a valuable source of income...

Im falling into both categories right now.

What is reccomended that we do? Seriously. I am short of ideas here.

I have been looking into auction software to run a "system" here for laser sales and auctions.

Laserresale.com is a bad joke.

Between the 40 of us we should be able to come up with something.

Hi Spec

I was thinking the same, Ebay is too big to listen to reason and the PR and finacial deficit from loosing laser sales is nothing compared to the bad PR a laser "incident" could do.

How about doing something here ?

It does not have to be a full auction, just a shop front for now. It does not make sense to go for an auction with present traffic. K_Car and Marconi would have many items, I could put up a few, Bengal could sell pictures of his cat, or maybe a small pamphlet about his political standing in his own wise words ? My guess is we could get a permanat shopfront for a good number of items.

Seriously though, from little acorns. Whats the alternative ? I operate some busy online commerce operations, and although its slow going at first with hard work come rewards.

Anyone else have a view ?

Gold

Gabriel Guest

Obviously I have to think about stuff alot in order to harass spec over it, so here's a couple of bits and bobs...

Theoretically we already have a system here that logs posts and times.. Could run an auction just on that provided we removed edit and delete function on posts, and made people 'register' by giving some personal information before they 'bid' (Make a post with an amount) The last post with the highest amount before the auction end time the poster set is the winner... Needs work but is feasible.

Second thing is the shopfront idea. We really need someone who already works with systems where you can add/delete products (And 'shops' in this case) So that our users can each make their own 'shop' and put up laser or non related goods.

Anyone here good with programming databases/webfronts?

~Gabriel

Hey all

This thread hasn't seen any action since april so I don't know if anyone's still reading it ... .but ...

not like I have worlds of free time or anything, but I'm experienced with php/database/storefront/etc ... I may be able to help set something up here - let me know if there's still interest and if/how I can help out-

-Josh

MY SAVIOUR!

Heh.

Ive got ideas and lack the expertise to implement them... Any help would be welcomed.

Hell, I might even have toys to throw at you or something when you get to CA

Sign me up for a buy/sell/trade page. I have a large building full of P/C and networking stuff. Mostly pulls from updated systems but all I have checked is in good working order. I may have something usefull to someone else. I have sold and traded off a lot of this stuff just to get rid of it. I simply need the room. Some old and some recent as far as early to mid 90's. Lots of great parts for the electronic aspect. Not to mention some really nice aluminum cabinets with power cables.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Default my time travel plans

I'm going back in time on the 26th (heh ... cali is 16 hours ahead of japan ... I get there almost 6 hours before I leave ... er... left ... )

yeah, I'll definately work for toys

then ... some questions: what verison of php does the Photon Lexicon server use? Which database server is it running? do you have any design ideas in mind or shall I come up with a template? or .. have you looked into pre-canned packages like oscommerce or zencart?

-Josh

forgot to ask ... do you have shell access to your web server? ftp access? cPanel? if the database server is MySQL, do you have a copy of phpMyAdmin installed?

I just had a thought, maybe you should PM me the answer to all this server specific stuff instead of posting it in public ...

-Josh