Thread: WTB Coherent FieldMaxII

Question WTB Coherent FieldMaxII

Hi guys,
    I want to buy a Coherent FieldMaxII. I was talking to Margaret at Coherent Australia a while ago so I've got an idea of what they cost new.

I was going to put buying a meter off as long as possible but if I can find one at a good price, I'll get one now as it will greatly assist my learning and development of my projector build.

Does anyone know of any good avenues for finding a second hand one?

What are the issues to consider when buying one second hand and how do I address them?
    Most importantly, Where to get it calibrated and how much would you expect to pay for this service.

It's a quality bit of kit and it is pushing my budget, but I figure I might as well buy a meter once and not regret it.

I have bought an EyeMagic IRIS Colorsafe safety cutoff system to incorporate into my projector build and I will need to be able to calibrate it accurately. I'll need to buy a good detector or two as well.

I was thinking of a PM3 and PM10.

My RGB projector build at this stage will include 3w 445nm 2-2.5w 532nm and 3.2w of 642nm.

I most likely will never do audience scanning but I would like to have the versatility to do MPE measurements in the future if I decide to go down that path.

Would the TOP model have any benefits over the TO model for our uses?

Any suggestions and insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Kit

Have a Fieldmax II with PM3 for over a year now, and I'm quite happy with it.
    Especially the software with the power diagram is very good for tuning lasers.

TOP is only useful when using pulsed lasers. If you will only use CW lasers you need the TO

if you want to do MPE measurements go for the PM3 head, the PM10 is not sensitive enough.

Hi Mccarrot,
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah the pm3 would get 98% of the use out of those two. Was just thinking if I managed to pick up a pm10 for a good price it would be nice to be able to measure total rgb power. Addmitadly it's not a figure you really need to have an accurate measurement of, more just for the feeling

Kit

A much cheaper solution would be a 10x attenuator (or any other value) in front of the PM3, then you could measure up to 30W.

You just press the attenuation button on the Fieldmax enter the number of attenuation and you have normal readings on the display with a attenuator in front of the detector.

the other way around, making a PM10 more sensitive is impossible.

Ahh,
    that makes sense. Great I only need one detector.

Thanks Mccarrot
    Last edited by kitatit; 07-19-2010 at 06:26.