Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RGB laser projector, ¿build or buy?

Question RGB laser projector, ¿build or buy?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying or building an RGB laser projector (somewhere in the range between 500mW and 1W) for a bussines me and a friend have in mind, but I'm not shure which route to take. I have no doubt in my mind that the most fun would be to build it but, based on my own experience building different things, that usually results in a lot more money being spent and I need to keep it as "cheap" as posible. I'm also hoping to end up with something completely safe, with all the necessary safeguards in place in case something went wrong and I'm not sure if commercial projectors ever include these features, or if I'd still have to implement them myself.
    I'd appreciate it very much if any of you coul'd let me know your opinion and help me find the best option.

Domingo.

Lightbulb

I would day ask your self if you think it will be "easy" for you to build one, or if you would feel intimidated building one.

When I first got into lasers I tried to build several and definatly felt intimidated. Now, after buying a turn key system I still don't feel it would be "easy" for me but I no longer feel intimidated. I "know" what needs to be done and how everything goes together. My first few DIY builds it was a royal pain in the ass just getting everything in a decent position so they could be aligned... THEN you have to actually align them. After 3 projectors I took a breadboard and just tried different laser layouts to get an idea of where things could go and what was easiest to align... (I decided Karl's way, using mirrors to position your different R, G, & B beams, is easiest, if not the most efficent.)

If I were in your shoes I would decide based on the amount of time I had to get the projector ready to use. If you feel it will be easy, built it; if you feel intimidated, or that you can do it, but it will take some work, buy one so you can start your project/buisness, otherwise your projector will be the project and you won't get around to starting your buisness.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I would day ask your self if you think it will be "easy" for you to build one, or if you would feel intimidated building one.

I decided Karl's way, using mirrors to position your different R, G, & B beams, is easiest, if not the most efficent.)

Have you a link?
    leading in trailing technology

I'm quite sure it would not be "easy", but I don't really feel intimidated by it.
    Time isn't that much of an issue at the moment because right now there is not a deadline for the bussines to get going, we'll be ready when we're ready, but that isn't really my point. My main concerns are the total cost and safety of the projector.
    I mean, I definitely want to build one myself sometime, but in this case I want to know which is the best way to end up with the cheapest (but still good quality) and safest projector posible.

Domingo.

P.S. Thanks for the links.

Building a projector isn,t that hard. But if you want a quality projector thats another story. You can build a good quality projector when using quality parts. When using those with the right skills you can build a quality projector. But quality means money. To buy a 1watt rgb quality projector (not a chinese one) you have to spend 7000 dollar so most people build themselves because they cant afford it. In my opinon you can build it for half the money but not for less then that.

Here,s a picture of mine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1080420..JPG  

P1080532.JPG  

P1080438..JPG  

Good, Fast, and Cheap... pick any two.

full price= kvant
    halfprice= mine
    less? = chinese crap

Here some real quality:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...light=spectrum

I can build you one if you want or build it yourself but do yourself a favour and dont buy a laserworld or chinese crap

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Building a projector isn,t that hard. But if you want a quality projector thats another story. You can build a good quality projector when using quality parts. When using those with the right skills you can build a quality projector. But quality means money. To buy a 1watt rgb quality projector (not a chinese one) you have to spend 7000 dollar so most people build themselves because they cant afford it. In my opinon you can build it for half the money but not for less then that.

Here,s a picture of mine:
    Ok then, half the price sounds worth the effort to me, so building it is.
    Where did you get the parts for your projector?, it looks great. From what I've read here at the forum, Laserwave seem quite good quality and Rob (stanwax) sounds like a nice and professional guy.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Good, Fast, and Cheap... pick any two.
    Well, I'd like to settle for Good, Safe, Fast... and as cheap as posible. I know cheap is not the best word to discribe it, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Here some real quality:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...light=spectrum

I can build you one if you want or build it yourself but do yourself a favour and dont buy a laserworld or chinese crap
    That looks incredible, I had already seen it before but I never get tired of seeing pics of a nice projector like that one.
    Thanks for the building offer, for the moment I'm going to research a bit more and try getting a better grasp on everything involved in building it, but I might get back to you on that one.
    About laserworld and chinese, I don't think much more needs to be said, I've read enough posts to put me of buying anything from them for quite a while.

P.S. I just realised Laserwave are chinese too, people here seem to like them quite a lot though.