Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: I had a good time...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Gosh, really? Do ya think?? Gee, thanks, Pat! I don't know *what* I would do without your sage advice...

...And, what, exactly would you do when the Client (..against all 'normal' show-booking standards and your request for 50% min. Deposit to-Book, Balance-Due, day of Performance) says: '30% to-Book, Balance in 30 Days, likely within 15, take it or leave it...' ...But they have an international reputation for very high-profile jobs working with billion-dollar Clients (ie: Lexus, Radio Shack, etc...) - so you know you're not dealing with some 'fleabag / con-artist'? What-then?

FYI, everyone gets the same 'industry-standard' requirements to Book with a Deposit, from NASA, to USPS, to State-level Govs. to National-level Youth Orgs - we have only ever-given 'Terms' on a Balance TWICE in 17 years - once to a very high-level University (and even then, we insisted on a Deposit - they wanted us to wait for it all, and we said no-way...) and second, to this Client....

Just because you (a Sho Co) are smart in biz and know / use best-practices for your industry, does not mean that you can- or will-never get screwed, if someone simply decides-to, even without just-cause...

So, thanks for the 'advice', but I've got it covered... Oh, and thanks so much for 'taking a huge dump' in this thread... brilliant...

j
    Any time, jon.. you know I love ya.

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    Any time, jon.. you know I love ya.
    heh, PM me your mailing address, I wanna send you a giant 'salt-block' you can lick for when the 'pendulum's a-swingin' the other way'...

peace...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 07-28-2010 at 01:55.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I'll get right on that... you keep an eye on those PMs now, y'hear?

g'night now Jon..

Group Hug
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Zone View Post
    just pics of the internals . Looks great though .
    Popping the lid on a warranty item that costs more then the car Jon's driving is not a good idea.

If what I saw was correct, I'm sure, at a 7 out of 10 on the reliability scale, I'm pretty sure they they remount the red diodes into a tiny array, ie not in 5.56 mm cases. I'm not 100% sure of that, but it looks like it when see just the red.

Green is a "magic" V-fold with one of the new ND: materials that can modulate quickly. So I'm told..

Blues are looking like a standard knife edge.

I thimk(TM) that answers your question as best as I can.

My gym teacher in 7th grade had a sticker on his office he coached out of" Before you louse it up, Thimk!" its stuck with me for decades.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I'm pretty sure they they remount the red diodes into a tiny array
    Fortunately, I had a small plano-convex handy and when we 'blew-up' each beam to 'inspect', this is (roughly) what we found:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RGB_C8_BP.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	18448

...very interesting, suggesting 16 x 250+mW @ 640nm to = ~4W; one very-peculiar 'egg-shaped' green spot (yes, it's the new 'v-cav', as-per Greg, but rasters were spectacular for a SS...) and, as you might expect, an h-v combo on the blue.... looked to be (possibly) two h-combo'd + two v-combo'd, ie: 4 x 500mW 445's to = ~2W... All 'sealed' in an internal 'brick', looking 'somewhat' like this (I'd imagine / from what little-you can see thru the scan window...) - copped from RGB's site:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RGB_RGBmodule.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	18449

... and (I just found this...) check out the 'new green's mod-results: http://www.rgblasersystem.com/index....id=60&Itemid=1 ... pretty-awesome!....

All-in-all, really fine piece of engineering, smart thermal-management, and the 'external-convergence' controls really take the cake.. 'nicest-design' in the field, IMHO...

peace...
    j

All-in-all, really fine piece of engineering, smart thermal-management, and the 'external-convergence' controls really take the cake.. 'nicest-design' in the field, IMHO...

peace...
    j

Nice.. given the high price, if I bought one and it wasn't a damn fine piece of engineering I'd be downright pissed. It's kind of like the whole experience thing we were discussing. If you couldn't pull off a difficult gig after having done this for 17+ years, there's something wrong... Any time you buy an expensive piece of gear, it had better be worth it, just the same as when hiring people with years of experience. If they don't deliver, there's not much excuse. I can only imagine the shows that are possible when you put the two together.

Now if only I were a gazillionaire..
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 07-30-2010 at 12:39.

heh, PM me your mailing address, I wanna send you a giant 'salt-block' you can lick for when the 'pendulum's a-swingin' the other way'...

peace...
    j
    his address is

{redacted} {redacted} {redacted}
    {redacted}, {redacted} {redacted}
    {redacted}

hes a real {redacted} so treat him with {redacted} or else {redacted} will {redacted} your {redacted} and lead to {redacted}

{redacted}

meow!

^And don't {redacted} forget it, mofos..

Question

...if I bought one and it wasn't a damn fine piece of engineering I'd be downright pissed....
    Well, ya see, Mr High-Horse...this is where that 'experience' comes-in... experience would not 'allow' you TO buy it, until you had thouroughy 'done your homework', even to the extent-of blowing a good-chunk of $$ for a 'rental' to actually try it out, in the field - and especially, under such 'demanding' conditions, as outdoors - with rain / high-humidity...So, the 'experienced' would-never buy such an item, until it was proved, indeed, it was the best you could-buy for your hard-earned $$, knowhatimean?...

...Even-so...

...just the same as when hiring people with years of experience. If they don't deliver, there's not much excuse.
    There isn't ONE Sho Co in the WORLD that has not - at some-point - had SOMEthing take a show down, at least below the 'planned-level' of perfection... It is, in-fact, impossible to have EVERY unforseen-eventuality covered...

In this-projects' case, every Contracted-item was executed perfectly, to the letter... It was only-when the interim-Client went 'off the ranch', and his extracurricular request could-not be acheved fast-enough to placate the (already) impatient end-Client, who had been drug thru the rain (against our advice...) to see this-all...

The extra, end-of-demo items were achieved / delivered, simply not fast-enough for the rain-soaked billionaires to hang-out and see them, live... But the interim Client got several minutes of both HD stills and video, so, in 'post' they got everything they paid-for... and a good-deal more...

I guess I'm just a little confused at, where, exactly, you are 'coming from' with your 'points', in this thread...don't you think you're 'preachin to the choir', just a little-bit, here??

I can only imagine the shows that are possible when you put the two together.
    Y-yeah, just imagine...

...(this was the 'boring-part'...)

j

PS - 'DSLI' is a tiny 'drop in the bucket', and I know it - but that's just fine... I'd rather have a 'sniper-team' than a 'giant, bloated-army', anyday...just so you know where I am comin-from...
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 08-02-2010 at 00:14. Reason: removed 'pretentious' photo...