Thread: Square CNC'ed 5.6mm diode modules

Default Square CNC'ed 5.6mm diode modules

Hey guys, I'm one of the pointer guys (gasp!) But in my defense I am drifting away from the pointers a bit

Anyway, I work at a CNC machine shop, and on occasion I get to make some laser stuff. I made quite a few of these square diode modules for someone and I still have a lot left. Nobody on LPF seems to be interested, but someone suggested I try here.

They are .5" thick by 1" square. They use a standard aixiz lens, the M9x.5 thread. They are made of aluminum, and are pretty easy to trim to fit certain spots.

Anyway, here they are! There's not much to be said about them, they are what they are

The ting on the left is a diode press, I have some of those but it won't come with the module.

I made the module hug the can extremely close so that someone could fill the void with thermal compound if they wanted. However, you must be extremely careful when pressing the diode in, if you start it out at an angle it will jam the can into the side of the pocket and most likely screw everything up! But, they will go in as long as you get the diode started straight. There is a pretty wicked chamfer to help get the diode started, so you would just want to use a press with a very large pressing surface to make sure everything is square.

These are with and without a 445. The diode is not pressed all the way in in this picture since I wanted to be able to get it out easily. They set all the way in past the chamfer when pressed all the way.

Anyway, at the moment I can sell them for $35 each shipped, but that is just because of the small quantity I made these in. If there is a lot of interest and someone would be willing to run a GB I could drive the price down a whole lot.

Hopefully I put this in the right place, if not please just delete it!

Thanks for looking!

Hi pontiacg5,
    Nice machining. It's no mean feet getting
    The right press fit tolerance on such a shallow bore.

Quality machining is deffinatly welcome here. I fear these might be a slow moving item here as being able to easily rotate the diode to allow for combining beams with a psb cube is needed for most peoples applications here.
    If it was economical to machine a simple little jig that could be shipped with each order so people can align the diode when pressing it in you might get some interest in these.

I'm considering using a 50mw 445nm nichia diode for a mini projector. The only problem is it's not 5.6mm it's 3.6mm. Have you got any tips on where to find a 3.6mm press fit barrel with an M9x0.5 lense thread?

Failing that what size interference fit do you machine for a good fit on diodes, so I can machine it myself?

Thanks
    Kit
    Last edited by kitatit; 07-19-2010 at 21:27. Reason: Typo

I was worried about the inability to set the diode for combining the beams, I don't know how accurate the notches on the diode are, but I could probably make a press that would hold those, I might even be able to make a device to turn the diode after it is pressed in.

As far as the pocket size, I made these about 5 thousandths smaller than 5.6mm (calculated to .2159 I think) If you are using aluminum tough you have a little more "give" as far as size. I won't lie though, I've got a bunch of dead diodes stuck in these things while trying to get the size just right.

Are 3.6mm diodes fairly common? I've not heard of those too much on LPF. I could make a spacer that bumps the 3.6mm diode up to 5.6 size.

If anything is in high demand, I can make it. I have access to lathes, 2.5 lathes, full mills, any kind of welder ever invented etc... The only problem is programming usually takes longer than running the parts, and you end up paying for the programming only. If I had lots of interest in one thing I could spread the cost of the programming out more.

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help machining anything, or of you would like to see if I can make something for you.

Thanks for the tips

Great to have you here

Price drop?

I'm only asking $20 shipped to the US now, $25 shipped internationally.

Here is the order page

http://www.lands.rice-precision.com/...r_heatsink.htm

Sorry to spam, but I've got a crapload of these that I can't get rid of!

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacg5 View Post
    Price drop?

I'm only asking $20 shipped to the US now, $25 shipped internationally.

Here is the order page

http://www.lands.rice-precision.com/...r_heatsink.htm

Sorry to spam, but I've got a crapload of these that I can't get rid of!
    link does not work :\

as far as aligning for combining, just setup the diode with the pins vertically or horizontally, you could probably get it pretty close to H/V

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    link does not work :\

as far as aligning for combining, just setup the diode with the pins vertically or horizontally, you could probably get it pretty close to H/V

Try this:
    http://www.lands.rice-precision.com/accessories.html

Adrian

Hi pontiacg5,

I just had a look on your site http://www.lands.rice-precision.com/accessories.html
    and was looking at the stage kits.

I like it! that is the business for effective heat dissipation. Very well thought out.

The 50mw Nichia blue diode I mentioned earlier isn't 3.6mm its actually 3.8mm. I bought 2 of them recently, check this post for details, http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...nm-blue-diodes.

I'm not sure how many Gary has sold but there might be a market for 1-200 stage kits for this size diode.

I was thinking of a system similar to yours or Dave's design to mount my little 3.8mm diodes. If I cant find anything I'll machine something myself.

Ask If anyone is interested on LPF. I'm in for 2 if you decide to make any.

Kit

Modifying the pocket for a 3.8, or any diode for that matter, would not be difficult at all.

Right now I'm finishing a bunch of hosts for Kenom and after that I'll start making all those things I've got up on my site. I'm not 100% up on what is necessary for laser show applications, but I think I get the gist of it. I'll be lurking here a bit more and asking questions too if you all don't mind!

What's the deal with these little blue diodes? It still looks like they have the same beam profile of the Casio diodes from the spec sheet in that thread. Is there something I'm missing? I would love a single mode blue diode!

Thanks for fixing the link for me, I cheated and used a WYSIWYG editor so I really don't know what the thing is doing!