Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scientifica & Cooke EL-1 Vintage helium Neon laser

Default Scientifica & Cooke EL-1 Vintage helium Neon laser

I have for sale a very nice working Vintage Helium Neon Laser built by Scientifica & Cooke Limited 78 Bollo Bridge Road, LONDON, W3 8AU

It is designed to meet the requirements of educational departments. It is compact and its ruggedness makes it ideally suited to use in optical alignment work or as a reliable source of coherent light. It is fully contained with a built-in drive unit, DC exited, hot cathode plasma tube and multi-layer hard coated OC & HR mirrors forming a hemispherical cavity with collimated output, which gives a good stability using single phase 230vAC power. The mirrors and Brewster windows are sealed inside a clean air cabinet. The laser is supplied with a manual covering technical data and method of operation.

Laser will be sent, completely surrounded by soft packing material, in a 230mm (9") x 230mm (9") x 570mm (22.5") hard cardboard box with fragile tape all over it. It will be shipped by whatever method the buyer decides to pay for.

I WILL NOT send it via anything to do with parcelfa(o)rce as I may as well put a hammer through it now!

Below is a summary of the specifications:

Power Output: 1.0 mW @ 8mA
    Wavelength: 6,382
    Mirrors: Hard dielectric coating, finished to 1/10th of a wavelength
    Configuration: One spherical and one plane mirror, forming a hemispherical resonator
    Mounts: Precision machined from duraluminium with three screw adjustment
    Resonator Length: Approximately 12.5"
    Laser Tube: No. 2851
    Construction: Silica Brewster windows with a standard helium-neon filling
    Beam Polarization: Vertical to horizontal
    Divergence: Approximately 0.8 milliradian
    Diameter: Approximately 2.5mm at exit aperture
    Power Requirements: 220 -240 Volts AC
    Mounting: Provision for table and optical back mounting
    Dimensions: 100mm (4") x 100mm 4" x 390mm (15") Long

Actual output power, using my Coherent thermal meter, was just under 1mW but it took a bit of mirror tweaking to get this and it seemed to drop off as it got warmer.

The front OC mirror looks to need a clean but I don't really want to attempt this on something so fragile. I will stick to the big Ion's to mess around with for doing that

Offers on this thread or via PM please.

Pic's below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4509.JPG  

IMG_4526.JPG  

IMG_4506.JPG  

IMG_4519.JPG  

IMG_4507.JPG  

IMG_4525.JPG  

IMG_4520.JPG  

IMG_4510.JPG  

IMG_4508.JPG  

IMG_4518.JPG  

IMG_4513.JPG  

IMG_4524.JPG  

IMG_4523.JPG  

IMG_4516.JPG  

IMG_4514.JPG  

IMG_4528.JPG  

IMG_4521.JPG  

IMG_4512.JPG  

IMG_4515.JPG  

IMG_4511.JPG  

--------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Laser Warning PM sent

Hi,
    I am interested! Please reply, Phil 142laser
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Nice laser! Hopefully it survives shipping!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Yeah, I am actually thinking it will be worth packing out the inside of the laser with soft foam so to protect the tube/internals.

I am not risking further problems
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Laser Warning Trade me...

I am still open to a trade. You have no use for a red HeNe but what about a polarized green one? Or maybe a nice Melles Griot Glan Thompson polarizer with calibrated mount (about $1,500)? Phil 142laser

Hi Phil

Sorry, it's been sold... The laser now has a nice comfortable new home

If all goes to plan it will shortly have a nice see through acrylic hood on it (temporary and easily replaced with the original). I plan on having this on my office desk as a bit of eye candy for those long dark winter days. At my time of life it will give me much more of a thrill than a pin up calander full of nubile young females .

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Laser Warning Thanks anyway

Sounds like you will enjoy it-good! best wishes, Phil

PS Sam has been working on reviving a few Spectra Physics 119 lasers. So if all goes well I should have one of those working to enjoy soon. It may even produce spec power; a whopping 70 microwatts! One of the first if not the first stabilized HeNe lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by 142laser View Post
    Sounds like you will enjoy it-good! best wishes, Phil
    Oh yes, i'm certainly going to enjoy it. Nice thing is that it will be a working exhibit in my office rather than just being stuffed in a cupboard somewhere.

PS Sam has been working on reviving a few Spectra Physics 119 lasers. So if all goes well I should have one of those working to enjoy soon. It may even produce spec power; a whopping 70 microwatts! One of the first if not the first stabilized HeNe lasers.
    Nice! It just goes to show it's not always about power. Some things are just cool, plain and simple

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Having those old lasers out in view is just like having an antique car in the driveway. It's such a contrast to the cold functionality of later lasers. Enjoy!!!

Other european laser makes from the '60s to keep an eye out for are G.E. Bradley, Ferranti, Barr & Straud, and of course Siemens. I'm looking for early samples of all these, especially the Bradleys.

Laser Warning It is lasing

Hi Bob,
    Sam is also building you a SP 119; I think he has it lasing actually! Working samples are even more fun that preserved dead ones. Best wishes, Phil