Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DZ 10 Channel Splitter

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    could not disagree more, he is only taking into account light sensitivity under normal conditions, aka cones or normal vision is going to be more sensitive to green... but thats not the point at all, at night/in the dark we use rods, which are insensitive to red... hence why we use red, to preserve the low-light sensitivity of the rods
    Well I am no expert on this subject. I remember quite a few years ago, it was a topic of discussion at one of the meetings we had at the local astronomy club. I remember the talk back then was to use blue. I don't remember all the reasons behind though. In the past, I've only used red led flashlights while observing or photographing. I also remember reading a few website that seem to support the idea, along with the website I linked to. Regardless of all of that, we are not in a planetarium and we are not at a dark sky site observing. I have to think that the beams in the air at SELEM will cause more damage to your night vision than my two silly little LED's!

That's pretty sweet work, DZ.

Pro-fession-al

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Well I am no expert on this subject. I remember quite a few years ago, it was a topic of discussion at one of the meetings we had at the local astronomy club. I remember the talk back then was to use blue. I don't remember all the reasons behind though. In the past, I've only used red led flashlights while observing or photographing. I also remember reading a few website that seem to support the idea, along with the website I linked to. Regardless of all of that, we are not in a planetarium and we are not at a dark sky site observing. I have to think that the beams in the air at SELEM will cause more damage to your night vision than my two silly little LED's!
    IIRC blue is actually the worst color to retain night vision...

but ya, its probably going to be bright enough in there that it doesn't matter anyway

Cool

For what it's worth, we would "rig for red" (turn out white lights and turn on low-level red lights in the control room) on the submarine whenever we would go to periscope depth at night. The idea was to preserve your night vision (scotopic vision) so you could see more when looking through the 'scope.

Also, on the rare occasions when were were running on the surface at night, we also had the control room rigged for red.

So yeah, I think Frank is correct. Rods are mostly insensitive to red light, which is why the color vision peak shifts to the blue portion of the spectrum in low light conditions. So using low level red light would help preserve your scotopic, or low-light vision.

However, for this splitter box, I don't think it's going to matter one bit.

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

The more modern stuff, ANVIS compatable, is a blue green with a touch of red, but the longer red and IR is filtered out of the light source. The idea is the ANVIS qualified lighting is ran, very, very dim and yet is still compatable with modern image intensifiers in night vision, yet wont trash the vision of crew members not on NV gear. The photopic peak is chopped out too, leading to a nice compromise between a dark adapted eye, and not flooding the NV, gear which is mainly sensitive to dim red from stars and IR from oxygen skyglow, which is why Gen IV and Gen V work on cloudy nights.

So very dim blue green is a good color for gear as well as deep red.

DZ, on another note, do you have reverse switches on the X axis, so we can flop the outer projectors for a better look during beam shows? I'll gladly donate a few DPDT switches to do this.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    DZ, on another note, do you have reverse switches on the X axis, so we can flop the outer projectors for a better look during beam shows?
    I can answer this one. We designed it so that half the ports could have the X axis flipped for exactly this reason. So yeah, there are already 5 dpdt switches installed.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    DZ, on another note, do you have reverse switches on the X axis, so we can flop the outer projectors for a better look during beam shows? I'll gladly donate a few DPDT switches to do this.
    I can answer this one. We designed it so that half the ports could have the X axis flipped for exactly this reason. So yeah, there are already 5 dpdt switches installed
    hehe! One step ahead of ya, Steve!

On the pic of the back panel with the 10 output d-sub connectors, the first 5 have small invert switches, which control +X/-X.

Thumbs up VERY NICE!

As much as I want to have fun and BS around saying it looks like shit, or it looks like most of my wiring efforts... I can't. I am most eager to see it in action.

I do have a small list of suggestions for the MARK II.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin