Thread: Sony Camcorder...

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Sony Camcorder...

I bought a Sony DCR-SX44 camcorder for doing ebay shots and making youtube videos of scanner tuning, brewster window cleaning, ebaying, and filming videos of my pet chupacabras eating DJs ETC

The PMB software included is great, but anybody know any cam software that will diretcly talk to a Sony as a webcam etc ??? Preferably freeware

I got the thing on a closeout sale, the Zeiss optics are awesome, it will "look into" a lab microscope, and was only about 40$ more then a camera with similar optics.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-20-2010 at 09:46.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I bought a Sony DCR-SX44 camcorder for doing ebay shots and making youtube videos of scanner tuning, brewster window cleaning, ebaying, and filming videos of my pet chupacabras eating DJs ETC

The PMB software included is great, but anybody know any cam software that will diretcly talk to a Sony as a webcam etc ??? Preferably freeware

Steve

If it has Firewire then Windows Movie Maker will allow you to set up a direct connection without drivers.

If it has a USB connection then you are nailed to Sony software.

Please don't feed me to your chupacabras, I'm a DJ but also a fellow geek and intellectual with a very responsible day job.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Have you tried just hooking up the usb cable from the cam to pc and then opening your IM program you want to webcam with and see if it finds the Sony DCR-SX44?

If I remember correctly, my Sony cam is recognised as a webcam with no special software. It has been ages since I have used it as a webcam, but I think that is how mine works.

-Gene

Steve - I've had a lot of fun with this :

http://www.yawcam.com/

The motion-detect is particularly useful, we used it at work as our first 'security camera' system and only stopped using it when 'the boss' decided that he'd pay for a dedicated HDD recorder with 4 cameras.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=greenalien;136475]Steve - I've had a lot of fun with this :

http://www.yawcam.com/

Thank you, I'll try it tonight.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

If you connect the USB cable you can run movie maker and click "Capture from video device". It should show up there.

Default How to Convert Sony HDR-SR10E MTS to FLV with sony camcorder software?

How to Convert Sony HDR-SR10E MTS to FLV with sony camcorder software?
    Do you have some short films shot with Sony HDR-SR10E AVCHD camcorder, and want to share them on your website? It will make your site more attractive with videos. While Apple compete with Adobe, the Flash support on Apple devices like iMac, MacBook Pro do not support exporting to Flash FLV/SWF now. You can not directly export FLV from the Apple QuickTime Player, iMovie or Final Cut Pro/Final Cut Express.
    One solution is to upload videos to YouTube and embed YouTube videos on your site. If you do not want to embed YouTube videos, you can convert Sony HDR-SR10E MTS files to FLV with Mac Sony MTS converter, and put the FLV videos on web server with Flash player. Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac is the recommended Mac sony camcorder software for you. It exports Flash videos with automatic deinterlacing function, which makes the FLV videos play without interlacing artifacts. It could also help you merge several Sony .mts video clips and export as one file.
    Here is the step-by-step guide to convert Sony HDR-SR10 videos to Flash on Mac.
    Step 1. Load Sony HDR-SR10E videos to Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac.
    Run Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac as the Mac Sony HDR-SR10 converter, and click the "Add" button to load .mts files for conversion.
    Step 2. Choose Flash FLV output format.
    Click the "Format" option, and choose Flash Video > FLV-Flash Video Format(*.flv) as output format. You can also choose the profiles like FLV H.264(*.flv) or F4V(/f4v).

Tips:
    With The above mentioned output, you shall use Flash player like JW player, Moyea PlayerBox player, or Flow player to play the Flash videos. If you want the video to play automatically, you may choose SWF-SWF Forma(*.flv) as output.
    Step 3. Transcode Sony HDR-SR10 MTS to Flash.
    Click the "Convert" button under the preview window, and the conversion from Sony MTS to Flash video FLV/SWF will start right away.
    Wait for a while, and you can upload the Flash videos to your sever and embed them on your web page.
    PS:
    The "Merge into one file" on the main interface is to join/splice .mts files.

yawcam works great with many cam enabled hardware, I already tried it

there are also python modules which permit to access raw image data, and I think it could be used to take beam profiles with some old cheap webcams