Thread: Laptop CPU upgrade?

Default Laptop CPU upgrade?

Anyone know can you replace a Intel Yonah Core Duo T2400 processor laptop, with a Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 Socket M. The laptop model Dell precision M65 used both, but not sure if they did a motherboard change.

Thanks

John
    leading in trailing technology

They both Socket M and both have same FSB speed etc ... both use same intel chipset ... I would also read up to see if your bios supports it.

the bios will support it in a degraded mode if the firmware doesnt handle it correctly, so it will still be updateable

the question is to know if your manufacturer will or have released the firmware update

I have one certitude though, if the CPU is of the same model but just a beefier version, there will be absolutely no problem getting it updated as it only involves a multiplier change by the bios

be careful the CPU is REALLY the same model, as there usually are revisions for frequency steps (eg. REV1 1 to 2GHz, REV2 1.8 to 2.3GHz, REV3 1.9 to 2.6GHz, etc..) and those might require a small bios upgrade

As others have said you must check with the company and BIOS and make sure they are compatible. I have an older HP laptop with a desktop AMD A64 3000+ clawhammer core cpu and wanted to replace it with a Turion (mobile version) but when installed the computer would not post