Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: ML520G72 638nm 500mw Diode Group Buy list

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    again, if we are going to see these in projectors do you think a GB makes sense?

Or would it be advisable to wait and see what the extraction cost from the finished projector would be?

an example would be the 445 diodes, no group buy here could have been big enough to get them down to the cost of extracting them from the Casio projectors...
    I suspect Andy means laser projector (in our sense of the term), rather than video projector. I think his argument related to the fact that a laser projector manufacturer was able to obtain usable beams from these diodes to incorporate into their products, thus demonstrating that an optical solution must exist suited to our purposes. Of course Andy please step in here...

We already know the beams will suit beamer/video projector applications which don't require narrow beams which are highly collimated.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Guys,

How many times do I have to tell you that I am extremely busy, a GB is to help you with costs, I am not forcing you to pay less.

Want them faster then we can order then faster but I advise to wait till I have this little mount sorted. Didnt see anyone jumping in to help with the mount I wrote about on my last post.

The solution I have will work a treat and you don't have to shell out loads of cash for it. All you have to do is be patient and read the posts I make before starting to use impolite sentences that just piss me off..

If somebody wants to take over this job then feel free, then will be even longer catch up delays and likely higher costs.

Simply I am busy like crazy on some large projects one of which involved quite a lot of setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyvF8zireeY , for me its not only a hobby.

I was away for a week and this is my first time back home today. If you don't mind I would like also to have some spare time at home.

Some have offered to pay and I will be updating the list but still we are very short of 100 to make even the first break point. So it all balls down to seeing the test results and if you don't want to wait then don't wait and get of my back with your demands.

Also, boffins with the 40um fear make me laugh as 40um is small. Its like bigger than an opnext but still very small and very usable as you will see soon from a certain projector producer who is starting to use the Mitsu diode. Top companies using fiber optics use cables with a beam exit of 25-50 um and manage perfect beams..
    Ahh, the Sean the Sheep Show, made for children but has the missus and me rolling on the floor laughing

Nice water screen btw.

P.S. I am happy to wait for the optics solution rather than dick about waisting my time and risking a back reflection COD.

Cheers, Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Also, boffins with the 40um fear make me laugh as 40um is small. Its like bigger than an opnext but still very small and very usable as you will see soon from a certain projector producer who is starting to use the Mitsu diode. Top companies using fiber optics use cables with a beam exit of 25-50 um and manage perfect beams..
    Just out of interest Andy, what would the raw divergence be out of a uncollimated fiber? I suspect it would be a lot less than 40 degrees right?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    I suspect Andy means laser projector (in our sense of the term), rather than video projector. I think his argument related to the fact that a laser projector manufacturer was able to obtain usable beams from these diodes to incorporate into their products, thus demonstrating that an optical solution must exist suited to our purposes. Of course Andy please step in here...

We already know the beams will suit beamer/video projector applications which don't require narrow beams which are highly collimated.
    Exactly, A laser show projector with scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Just out of interest Andy, what would the raw divergence be out of a uncollimated fiber? I suspect it would be a lot less than 40 degrees right?
    Duno of the top of my head, in tests I did over the years its not so hard to get a good beam < 50um fiber but getting the beam into the fiber generally is where the cost comes.

You can get a usable beam from a 200um fiber but its diameter will be huge:

Here's my theory in a kind of guide with fictitious values:

25um fiber = reasonable divergence beam at <1mm 70% loss
    50um fiber = reasonable divergence beam at <3mm 50% loss
    100um fiber = reasonable divergence beam at <6mm 50% loss
    200um fiber = reasonable divergence beam at <12mm 20% loss

These are based on a perfect circular beam.

Now considering with a diode that is 40um from the start we have a better beam possibility than a 50um Fiber that can be used on 3mm scanners , not only that we are not working with a complete curricular beam.. Now take the flat beam of the diode and half it in all dimensions, we end up with what is more like a 20um fiber but it is still flat like to fold an A4 paper in half, goes slightly thicker but half the page width.

So we are working with what is more like a 20um fiber as apposed to a 40um diode and still its very stack able due to its flatness.

Its quite tricky to mount the parts to do this and that is what takes time, right now I am waiting for a mount to be made that will hold this special tiny lens that does our magic. I need this to allow fine adjustments to get the best possible configuration from the othr lenses, now its like balancing on the diode facing upwards.

A 40um diode is still tiny but it sounds huge compaired to opnext diodes.

Attachment 19684

Here the beam is around 2mm OD, there is another lens that you cant see that sits on the diode face, the one I need a mount for to do some little adjustments, then the top lens I can select better as I have a lot of them with very fine differences in properties.

This setup is giving a beam like :

Attachment 19685

The beam looks quite fat but its due to camera setup to capture the beam shape.

The divergence is quite good but I cannot try this far away till I have the mount sorted or it will simply fall off the diode face.

On the cieling its not much different than the exit maybe 5mm but simply I cant put that larger lens close enough to lens 1 to adjust anything very good.

The beam is pretty flat too.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post

well regardless, if you look up the datasheet this thing was designed with video projectors in mind... I am sure sooner or later we will see in crop up somewhere in a Casio type device

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    well regardless, if you look up the datasheet this thing was designed with video projectors in mind... I am sure sooner or later we will see in crop up somewhere in a Casio type device
    I might ask Mitsubishi if any video projector manufacturers are ordering it.

Duno of the top of my head, in tests I did over the years its not so hard to get a good beam < 50um fiber but getting the beam into the fiber generally is where the cost comes.

You can get a usable beam from a 200um fiber but its diameter will be huge:

Here's my theory in a kind of guide with fictitious values:

25um fiber = reasonable divergence beam at <1mm 70% loss
    50um fiber = reasonable divergence beam at <3mm 50% loss
    100um fiber = reasonable divergence beam at <6mm 50% loss
    200um fiber = reasonable divergence beam at <12mm 20% loss

These are based on a perfect circular beam.

Now considering with a diode that is 40um from the start we have a better beam possibility than a 50um Fiber that can be used on 3mm scanners , not only that we are not working with a complete curricular beam.. Now take the flat beam of the diode and half it in all dimensions, we end up with what is more like a 20um fiber but it is still flat like to fold an A4 paper in half, goes slightly thicker but half the page width.

So we are working with what is more like a 20um fiber as apposed to a 40um diode and still its very stack able due to its flatness.

Its quite tricky to mount the parts to do this and that is what takes time, right now I am waiting for a mount to be made that will hold this special tiny lens that does our magic. I need this to allow fine adjustments to get the best possible configuration from the othr lenses, now its like balancing on the diode facing upwards.

A 40um diode is still tiny but it sounds huge compaired to opnext diodes.

Attachment 19684

Here the beam is around 2mm OD, there is another lens that you cant see that sits on the diode face, the one I need a mount for to do some little adjustments, then the top lens I can select better as I have a lot of them with very fine differences in properties.

This setup is giving a beam like :

Attachment 19685

The beam looks quite fat but its due to camera setup to capture the beam shape.

The divergence is quite good but I cannot try this far away till I have the mount sorted or it will simply fall off the diode face.

On the cieling its not much different than the exit maybe 5mm but simply I cant put that larger lens close enough to lens 1 to adjust anything very good.

The beam is pretty flat too.
    mumbo jumbo = vague data

The exit beam parameters of a fiber are dictated by the core size and the numerical aperture number (with some respect to wavelength purity) which can be calculated in advance. For all practical purposes the tip of the fiber may be treated as a point source when considering lensing options.

The input coupling efficiency (loss) is mostly affected by the ability to gather the available rays and focus them within the NA of the fiber (acceptance angle). The problems start to occur with the ability to focus what ever beam you are using into a to circular shape. The ability to make a circular shape is dictated by mode purity, wavelength and emitter shape prior to correction.

For all practical purposes....if you can couple 100% of the light you will receive > 80% (more like 90%) of the light at the other end using glass fibers (length discussion may be necessary) no matter what wavelength or core size you choose.

no theory...pre determinable facts

http://www.fiberoptix.com/technical/...aperature.html

Apologies to zoof if my description does not pass peer review. All statements made above are general in nature and not to be considered as undeniable 100% accurate facts.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

So does this mean diodes are availabel and a GB will proceed onward? Just wanting to find out ... before the "red" cash gets gone....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

ME3 --
    This GB has gotten so dilluted with optic stuff that there is no longer a diode GB. Andy PM'd me that he has under 100 diodes ordered now.

Guess we can wait for the next projector sale like the 445's.

Whatever --- HMike