Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blanking and color mixing??

In that picture we have...

Hot glue... Bad sign, unless your Yadda.

Gawd. Big dipper, yea 50% IR, right off the bat. Dont know much about the red in there never seen it before...

Steppers, you can pick up exact/similar models for $5-10 a piece here:

http://www.mpja.com/category/Stepper...per_Motors.asp

I saw a video of one of these operating once... Its supposed to have DMX control for its operation cycles however I believe the only command it can execute is what i affectionately call "SIEZURE MODE". Good luck finding yellow. Look at the stepper motor configuration...

On the upside, Thats a cool fan in the back, looks like a 12V unit... I could probably use that to cool my galvos

heh, you know, think people would want to build some of these at home?

I think RC servos would be the way to go... steppers are so slow and noisy.

You'd dedicate a small micro and drive each of the servos using PWM...
    the trick to RC servos is tha the pulse width determines where the
    actual rotor is, so making an XY system would be near trivial. It may even
    give those 300Hz scanheads a run for their money

RC servos are too expensive for this unit, it's all about profit margins here. Cheap stuff for an expensive price tag. Those stepper are aerosyn units, and all electronics sells those EXACT units for about $5 each. I couldn't amagin a bulk price direct from the manu, lets say $1-$2 each per 1000 pack. As far as PWM motor controls, and stepper controllers, www.allelectronics.com has drivers for them in there kits section, for cheap!..

That greenie is the same as aixiz's unit, although a bit different from mine, the red looks like one of there 650mn 100mw silver cased pointer units.

Hehe true.... but I was actually thinking these...

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-56hb_sub-micro.html
    $25 micro servos...

You'll note that it does a full 60 degree sweep in 0.10 seconds with
    16oz/in of torque... That's faster than the steppers and more than
    enough to do attractive simple beam shows...

I mean these won't compete with even low end openloop galvos, but it
    has the advantage of wide scan area and would be a lot smoother than
    the steppers. Plus they're pretty cheap new...

We have 2 digital servos in our turbine jet model that has a transit speed of .072 /60deg. sweep at 95 oz./in. of torque. It was around 80 bucks. It is a JR brand. Nice radio stuff...safe and reliable.It is employed on the nose wheel steering with signal inputs from a piezo gyro. The receiver is PCM. I have a lot of this stuff around....could donate parts to a project.....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Heh, if you sent me 4, I'd send two of them back with a sound activated servo
    controller with cute beamshows programmed in... Research, programming
    and build time would be about two or three weeks... The things would
    be SX28 based (or SX52 depending on how bad-ass I'm feeling) and
    support TTL blanking out for the laser and two servos (or possibly more
    depending on how much space is left on the micro)

I only need the servos, not anything else btw... I'll provide mirrors.

You'd have to supply your own mounts, case, laser and PSU (I'm assuming
    since your username is MechE that this won't be a problem)

Let me know if you want to do something interesting like this

Hello Yadda...I have 2 units in hand. I will search for the exact specs. I will look for more. Yes I have all the other components...if not , I can fab up. Plenty of lasers laying about. Sounds like a very interesting project. PM me with a destination for them to go out to. I will get the specs and send along with them. I think that one of them has a feedback problem....it seemed to always be "hunting center". Maybe the gain needs to be turned down a bit. I am guilty of running these at 6.2 volts for the higher torque than stated. They are still in service as good units. Do you need the geartrain as well?? They could be used as replacements for damaged gears. Let me know and I will take care of it.
    Regards.......Mike
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

LOL... PM sent Sounds interesting, lets do it...

I'm in like Flynn 8)

Hey Yadda, I have 4 brand new servos in hand. They are a little slower than digital units. Can they be used? I am looking for the spec sheet. Let me know.

There is a nice looking 478nM unit on E-bay......$1300 starting bid...TTL up to 30 khZ . Looks good for setup I am building...but waiting on group deal..

Thanks and hat's of to Spec !!! Trichro mount is made and going onto scanner set today. Very nice piece ! Barely enough room on board left for that elusive blue laser.

Well it's off to see the wizard for a 3mm tap. All mine are broken now. Will post pix soon....I want to get this thing working.