Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LaserMan532 / microlaserlabs.com Quad Kit Build!!!

Default LaserMan532 / microlaserlabs.com Quad Kit Build!!!

Hey Everyone!
    I'm assembling a couple of these quad kits for a few forum members and figured I'd do another build thread and review on the quad kit. See the link below for the dual combiner review...

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9470

Let me start off by saying, These kits are VERY NICE! Not only is the price excellent, it's very well made, simple to assemble and quite sexy. We'll have to see how tuning goes later in this thread but I assume it will be fun and easy.

The kit's came in neatly packaged, all the components were clean and ready for an install. I did find some of the tapped holes a little tight due to the anodizing so I just ran a 4-40 tap through them to loosen it a bit.

The well priced kit comes with A LOT of components...

This is what is included...

• 1 - 4-3/4" X 4" Pre-Drilled and Tapped 1/4" baseplate
    • 4 - Single Axiz Module mounts
    • 3 - 3 Axis Kinematic Micro Mounts
    • 2 - Front Surface Mirrors
    • 1 - Bag of all the Hardware Needed
    • 16 - Sil-Pads (Used for thermal conduction and electrical isolation.)
    • 1 - "To Scale" Layout Diagram

Here is a review on the MicroMount... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...27s+micromount

Assembly of one of the kits took less than an hour. Properly placing the Sil-Pads and mounting the mirrors with a dab of epoxy was a breeze. All you need is a couple of alen wrenches to assemble all the components on the baseplate.

So Far, So Good! I'm still waiting for a couple parts to come in but will soom have this kit assembled and ready to rock.... Uh... LASE!

More to come soon.....

Adam

Very nice!

The black anodizing looks perfect!

I also have one of these. The only thing I found was the 25mm cubes from laserwave are a bit too heavy for the mount and the supplied mounts have a bit of slop in the threads. This I fixed with a drop of lock tite. Beyond that, nothing else to say. It works well. A bit on the large side. I can't wait to see what a quad 500mw 638nm looks like! Must look like 5 watts of 658nm.

Cmon adam lets see those beams .............
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I also have one of these. The only thing I found was the 25mm cubes from laserwave are a bit too heavy for the mount and the supplied mounts have a bit of slop in the threads. This I fixed with a drop of lock tite. Beyond that, nothing else to say. It works well. A bit on the large side. I can't wait to see what a quad 500mw 638nm looks like! Must look like 5 watts of 658nm.
    hehe, no disrespect here...but you tried to mount a 1" square hunk of glass to a .5" piece of aluminum dangling off of a .02" diameter piece of wire???...physics, my friend... In all of my post on these kits...10mm or 12mm cubes are recommended and the supplied drawing shows a 15mm cube. I have no excuse on the threads really... the micromounts are machined on a $250,000.00 CNC machine. I will talk to the machinist to see if he can tighten them up but then you run into the same problem like the 4-40 holes they get too tight...its all about balance in life i guess.

Thanks for the review Adam! I try to build a quality product for a fair price that allows someone with skills and no machinery to take things to the next level, i dont see anybody else doing it......yet

EDIT- had to edit...Ive addressed the size issue before...i find it humorous when people complain about the size of the modules and put it in a projector large enough to bury a doberman in...oh well, you can please some of the people some of the time......
    Last edited by Laserman532; 07-29-2010 at 07:39.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

I was not saying it isn't a great kit. It is! I was just warning people that using a large cube has issues since that is the cube most people will go buy. Don't misunderstand my level of satifaction. I'm very happy with the kit and the result. I just needed to make a few tweaks to get it to were I wanted it to be. As for the threads. Ya that could be better. I'd rather have it tighter then looser. It will be a set and forget situation. The locktite filled the space and cleaned up the action.

PS: a smaller cube made a huge difference in the stability of he mount as well it should. If you use the larger cube use an mm1. That did fit and that did work but I wanted the smaller mount so I got a smaller cube.

Great stuff, much better than anything I could ever make.

Almost there... The 405nm cube is WAAAY better... Still needs a little alignment but not bad. This is a little under 3W.

Hey Adam,

Looking great!

What lenses are you using if you don't mind me asking? Some beam specs would be good to know too.

I have one of Pat's quad kits here still to devote to a purpose. It could be red if the 500mW's come good or it could be a blue if the specs you get are good. I have another quad kit from Edison to build too.

Cheers,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Almost there... The 405nm cube is WAAAY better... Still needs a little alignment but not bad. This is a little under 3W.
    how much is each diode putting out??