Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Running the XJ-A140 With Missing Diodes

I hate to do this, but would someone please link me to the post with how to get these PSU's running?
    Or is this not the thread for that?
    Its just i got boxes of them with no idea how to use them or what they can take.
    I would love to be able to use these PSU's in something.
    I just have so many dead projectors sitting around.

I have some info on it in my sales thread.
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Power-Supplies

ack havnt heard hide nor hair of the thread in weeks...did everyone give up?

I have been making some progress on the reverse engineering front, althoug it probabbly will not be much use to the people trying to run the projector with a new light source.

Progress so far:
    -emulated the fan controller board using msp430 microprocessor
    -emulated focus module using said microprocessor
    -reverse engineered serial protocol to driver board, some work decoding packets (not much thoug)
    -emulated the driver board while running in the neutered mode that was described earlier in this thread by ozone (so you can power up the projector completely without the laser driver board, just my spoofer)
    -working on emulating the color wheel, I havent put much time into it, but it looks like it is going to be a little tricky. If anyone has info on the pmd1000 controller (made by allegro?) It would be really helpful...

The end result of my overall efforts are that i can power up the motherboard/dlp with only the color wheel and a 5/12v supply, and the color wheel connected (and my microprocessor code of course)

I am still working on documenting what has been done, but keep and eye out for another thread about running the projector with nothing connected at all.

As to the initial thread, i should be able to get an inteceptor module which allows the projector to run the red diode without the blue diodes, or for that matter run the blue diodes without the red diode or projector. I am not sure how convoluted the protocal is, so i am not sure how far I will go with the hacking of the driver board...

Sorry for the lack of postings, guys. I've been busy with work, and doing some other projects in the spare time (mainly with 3D, and repairing plasma and LCD TV's etc.).

@Keith, I still have this RGB sequencer here. I can post it to you if you like?
    tbh, I don't really have much time to play with this stuff atm. I can always build another sequencer if need be - it's simple enough, and cheap!

If you're a bit worried about trying the full "Phlatlight working" mod, then you should still be able to use the sequencer using the "ribbon cable mod" instead.
    You just to solder three wires for the control signals, and the two thicker wires to the projector's PSU (for 12V supply).

You can then connect it to your RGB LED module. It's currently set up for 1.5 Amps per channel / color. I've added the pots for adjusting (lowering) the current on each channel, but I haven't soldered the extra connections yet.

You could "upgrade" the regulators to 5 Amps per channel, but you'd also need to change the three sense resistors and add a much bigger heatsink (it already gets quite hot with only 1.5-Amp regs 'cos it uses linear regulators).

@krazer - Well done on your further progress! Does this mean you've spoofed the driver completely now, so it doesn't need to be plugged in at all?

Do you think you could extract the sequencing / duty cycle from the packets yet?
    On the other hand, the laser / LED timing probably uses the CIDX signal as the reference, and the packet commands are mainly for changing the duty cycle etc. (for Low/Med/High power modes).

So, sequencing some external LEDs should be easy enough without the driver board present (just use the "High power" timings from the 'scope shots).
    Maybe the initial version won't auto-switch for the different power modes until the packets can be decoded, but it's not really necessary.

The colour wheel thing might be a bit simpler than you think... As far as I can tell, the PMD1000 only has a single-pin PWM input to control the color wheel motor.
    I did some Googling about the PMD chip a few months back, and found some service manuals for DLP RPTV's. This showed the PMD1000 pinouts with the PWM input pin.

You can access the PWM signal from a test pad just below the main chip on the underside of the Ca$io mainboard. I put a scope on this before, but it looked quite high-speed, so was difficult to "lock on" to?
    It might be possible to do a simple R/C filter of this signal, then use an ADC on your processor to read this new "speed" voltage?

I'm very interested to see your new thread on this stuff. It might just sway me away from my other projects again.

OzOnE.
    "It's like lasing a stick of Dynamite."...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ds0wYpc1eM&fmt=18
    Surely all PL members have seen this movie?

any progress guys?

Hello peter, trying to get in touch to see if you were able to ship the "Casio test mod", the shipping info you sent me shows it has not been entered into the shipping data bank? Can you please shed some light on the status of this order? thanks

ozone..

sorry i didnt get back to you..yes i would very much like to try the sequencer..provided you can tell me how to hook it up...i havnt done much in the past few months with the projectors...it was driving me nuts..every day for like 3 months was projector projector projector..i was even dreaming about them...and when things get that funky...ya gotta walk away for a while..get perspective. but now im ready to tackle them again.got lots of good ideas im gonna try...just tell me how much shipping is and ill spot you back via paypal k?

has everyone given up on the project? some serious tumbleweeds in this thread.

No not on my end, I had been busy as shite, and now have time to actually set up the working unit i received from Peter. I'm in the process of trying various optical options as the existing lens system doesn’t project laser light well. The Cas1o mother board W/DMD and power supply are mounted closely and i think i may have to try a new layout as the heat off the MB/heat sink is significant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG9133.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	33942
    Last edited by holokidd; 07-24-2012 at 07:06. Reason: add pix