Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holography 'Camera' - My Latest Addition

Default Holography 'Camera' - My Latest Addition

Hi folks

I've just picked up a nice little addition to my collection , it's a Holofax Holocam, basically an easy way to make simple single beam reflection holograms.

It had been in storage since the mid-eighties and was suffering from having years of dust on the internal optics. However, after a bit of a clean down it appears to be a very nice little unit. The HeNe laser works and the optics were nearly in alignment, I guess the laser is putting out around the 5mW as is shown on the data sheet for this model. If anyone has an instruction manual for this unit i'd be most grateful.

I've not made any holograms with it yet, so i'm not sure how easy that will be, but all the signs are that this should be a great little unit for easily demonstrating how to make holograms.

Whilst I was collecting this unit I also managed to strike a deal on some 'Light Fantastic' holograms that the seller had used for exhibition purposes. These initially appeared to be in a pretty poor state, however, once I got them home and stripped them out of the frame mountings they seem to be cleaning up pretty well. I'll try to get some photo's up once i've got them all cleaned and re-framed.

Cheers

Jem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holofax 007.jpg  

Holofax 005.jpg  

Holofax 001.jpg  

Holofax 006.jpg  

Holofax 004.jpg  

Holofax 003.jpg  

Holofax 002.jpg  

Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Looks like a nice bit of kit Jem
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Talking

Ooohhh..
    So when you bring it to Surfleet we can all have our piccies taken in3D then!?!

Smile

would that be "the" light fantastic exhibition from the 70's, held at the royal academy (i think ?)
    do you have the "crystl skull" or the orthoscopic telephone holograms ?

be amazing if you do

they played tomita's snowflakes are dancing lp during the exhibition, with argon laser beams all around the walls for the holograms

dave321
    dave321

Quote Originally Posted by dave321 View Post
    would that be "the" light fantastic exhibition from the 70's, held at the royal academy (i think ?)
    do you have the "crystl skull" or the orthoscopic telephone holograms ?

be amazing if you do

they played tomita's snowflakes are dancing lp during the exhibition, with argon laser beams all around the walls for the holograms

dave321

Hi Dave

Yes, they're all 'Light Fantastic' holograms, although I guess most of these were from the early eighties. Sadly, there is no skull or telephone - They were the real classics

I've got various geometric shapes, dripping taps, hammers and nails, bags of coins, a ferrari, heart and lungs, puffer fish etc. I guess these are the ones that no-one wanted when the guy who I bought them off was selling them during the early eighties. Nevertheless, they are a piece of history and are stunning to look at. I'll perhaps bring one or two to the Surfleet LEM.

I'll try to post some photo's as soon as i get them all cleaned up.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Whoo Hoo....

Just spent the afternoon making holograms on my newly accquired HoloCam. Dan Briggs came over and we've basically 'geeked' out all afternoon and ended up with some very respectable single beam reflection (Denisyuk) holograms. We tried a small Budhha, a circuit board and some coins, all of them came out great.

Dan, if you look in on this thread any chance of a posting a couple of photo's of the holograms?

Cheers

Jem

I just want to say this is an amazing contraption!
    I've had a great time this afternoon messing Thanks Jem.

I've tried to take a few photos, but I can't seem to get a great image. Lasers are hard to photograph right, holograms are much harder! The holograms look WAYY better in person.

Three attached.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02390-small.jpg  

DSC02391-small.jpg  

DSC02380-small.jpg  

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Very nice job guys.

How about bringing this box to the meet in May?
    I would pay to have an object that connects my laser hobby with my other hobby immortalized on a holographic plate.

Carl

Thanks for posting the photo's Dan, they all look fine. Obviously they are so much better in real life, but as photo's of holograms go they aren't bad at all.

I'll definately be bringing the Holocam to the LEM in Surfleet, i'll also bring some of the necessary chemistry along so we can have a hologram making session

Just remember guys this isn't like a photocopier, so sorry soffy, no holograms of your dangly bits . Objects have to be light coloured and rigid

Cheers

Jem

P.S. @ Carl... Does than mean you're going to bring a small Choo Choo?

Here's a picture of the hologram that I kept from this afternoon's efforts (sorry, uploaded it and forgot to resize it)...

Cheers

Jem