Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

if only our ProDJ friend.... was like woody .... the world would be a better place

and welcome woody... to the forum ...

Jem is a wealth of knowledge ... if not a bit old ...

( in voice of Grasshopper )

" listen to old wise man and he will bring many fortune"

oops... just realised how close to 50 i am .... so i will change that to ....

welcome to the world of old farts .... that is knowlegable Farts ... some with hair and some without .... oops ... i think i did it again

all the best ... Karl

Bah... I'll get you at playtime... Zimmers at fifty paces

Worst thing about getting older is i've had to include my head in the laser risk assessment as a reflection hazard!, they won't allow me to walk out in the audience these days. I look kinda silly with non reflective hazard tape as a headband

How ya doing Karl?, still busy as ever and coated in chocolate?

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 07-29-2010 at 08:55.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

haha ... perhaps you should wear a berka for safety ...

im fine buddy ... yes still covered in chocolate ... just finnished getting the crunchie line up and running ... curly wurly next ... then "finger of fudge"

suprisingly ... lots of people replied to the adverts to work in the crunchie and curly wurly packing departments .... but very few replies to the adverts requesting "fudge packers" ..... i dont know why ???

anyway buddy ... sorry for the banter ... but a bit merry ... im sitting in the Crown lounge at Amsterdam airport ... had too many vinos .... waiting for my flight to bangkok

looking forward to ... sun ... sand ... and sex .... ( with the wife of course ) ... i know what you were thinking ... hehe

seriously Jem .... its great that you can share your knowledge with Woody ... i wish i had someone to guide me when i started out ... you are a star ...

hope to see you again at a meet in the not too distant future

all the best ... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post

hope to see you again at a meet in the not too distant future
    Same here. It would be great if you could make it to Surfleet in October... Any chance you'll be around?
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem will set you on the right path.

3 Watts is a hell of a powerful laser and needs to be treated with a lot of respect.

If you really want to learn how to audience scan then you really need to take a safety course. You're also going to need a power meter (to take measurements) and know how to set up BAM (beam attenutaion maps). A scan fail device is also really a must. So crowd scanning is not only difficult but expensive to do safely!!

In the meantime, I'm sure Jem will show you how to scan above the crowd safely and in a spectacular manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    if only our ProDJ friend.... was like woody ....
    Reminds me of those 'learn to swim infomercials from the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Worst thing about getting older is i've had to include my head in the laser risk assessment
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

thanks for the warm welcomes everyone, ive been reading HSG95 thoroughly, and Jems docs over on the pangolin website, im just concerned about my mate wayne who is organising the event, the bloke who sold us the laser says he cant give us the money back for the laser untill he can sell it to someone else, obviously we dont want to give him the laser back untill we get our money back.

The plan then is to get a 1watt full spectrum kvant laser and quickshow. wayne wants to get 2 small green lasers aswell but he doesnt seem to understand we need more things than just lasers to do the show, we need a remote stop, power meters, safety course is a definate must, and time to practise using the laser safely.

He wants to do our next 2 shows cheaply and is borrowing a DAC for the gig in 2 weeks (providing i can learn everything i need to know, and the council gives us permission (there will be more calls to jem soon i beleive )) and he wants to use the trial version of quick show to do it. ive been trying to persuade him to just dig deep and fork out for quickshow now, but all his money has gone into the next 2 events.

Personally i dont think ill be using this laser at either show, but its not going to stop me from putting 110% effort in.

id just like to say im finding this website extremely usefull and a big thanks to everyone, you all so welcoming and have given me constructive advice rather than just saying no you cant do it.

come to think of it, i have no idea if it even is a 3 watt laser, he said it was but i wasnt there when it was tested so it could be a crappy one that has been over priced

and he wants to use the trial version of quick show to do it
    As before, you can't run a show just on the software, you MUST have a DAC to convert the stuff generated by the computer/software into something that the laser can understand.

If you use Quickshow (or some other software based control), then you don't 'necessarily' need a dedicated emergency stop. Now that more laser control is by computer, the emergency stop can be the escape key on the keyboard if it can be demonstrated that it kills the laser output whjen used.

There was another thread on the forum about that very issue, and it was the advice given by the safety inspector as far as I recall.

Basically, if you don't crowd scan then you don't need a meter (except to confirm the output for your own curiosity) as long as you mask the output window to prevent any stray beams going into the audience in the event of a mishap

yeah that was the plan, i still need to go to the venue on monday to check for reflectives and things, and see how feasable it will be to do this event.