Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Phredy1 View Post
    Kudos to Doc, Jem and Norty303! IMHO this thread is the bottom line of what this forum is all about.

I heartily agree. As I found myself reading through this tonight, I found myself thinking the same thing and am even more excited to be attending my first SELEM next month in North Carolina to experience some of this live. Over the last few weeks since I joined, this really has been an enjoyable forum to gleen information and knowledge from. :-)

Hey Woody

Give me a call, you've got my mobile number (if you've misplaced it PM me here). I've got a bit of time tomorrow, we can hook up the projector to my QM2000 and run through some of the basics.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

im working 2 - 10 tomorrow because of this party in the park at wakefield, same sunday, hopefully we can meet up on monday after ive been to the venue, ill give you a ring on monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody07 View Post
    come to think of it, i have no idea if it even is a 3 watt laser, he said it was but i wasnt there when it was tested so it could be a crappy one that has been over priced
    If its a Kvant and is all original then its one of the best lasers out there, provided of course it hasn't been used to the point at which the lasers are on their last legs.

A link to the UK dealers web site is here:

http://www.synchrovision.co.uk/eshop...-systems-kvant

The web site owner Martin "Pelosh" is also a member on here and I'm sure if you contact him will be able to give you pricing info / info on how to check its all original / number of hours of usage (assuming they're logged). There are 2 variants of the 3 Watt - LM scanners (good Chinese scanners) and Cambridge (Very expensive high end scanners). Which scanner type is fitted has a big effect on the price.

I'm sure if you meet up with Jem at any point, or many of the other UK users on here, you'll be able to test to the output power as most users on here (but not all), have power meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody07 View Post
    im working 2 - 10 tomorrow because of this party in the park at wakefield, same sunday, hopefully we can meet up on monday after ive been to the venue, ill give you a ring on monday.
    O.K., no worries.

Don't forget when you go to the venue you'll need to take measurements of the room and draw a reasonably accurate plan. Don't forget the ceiling heights, taking into account such things such as mezzanine floors that may have public access. Also, document any reflection hazards such as windows, wall clocks, glass fronted posters, mirror balls, lighting trusses, other lighting gear etc etc.

Remember, the only space you can use/shine the lasers is the space between 3 meters from the floor up to the ceiling. Unless of course you are audience scanning, but that's a whole can of worms and we won't even go there at this stage

While you're there make sure there are enough power sockets for your needs and that they are in good condition and protected by circuit breakers and not a 6" nail across the contacts in the fuse box .

If you have you're own stands for the laser(s) all well and good, but if you intend using the existing trussing in the club, check that out too. Don't just assume it's safe to hang your laser on there.

We'll get you through this and you'll have a great time... Stick with us and you'll be able to sleep comfortably knowing you're doing things correctly and safely... Besides, my daughter goes to the Gallery and I don't want you blinding her!!!!!

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

hey folks i just thought id give you an update. the laser show has been cancelled, i have called it off. the ceiling is very low, ranging from 2.5 meters to only just above head height. its good news in a way because it gives me time to do a propper laser safety course before our next gig in September.

Thumbs up

Woody-

Good job man! it really seems like youre doing this the right way. Making a quick buck now (by doing dangerous/illegal shows) will not get you far in this business.

I cant tell you how many shows i had to turn down because the safety of the show couldnt be guaranteed. It sucks, but its part of the business! Low ceilings will haunt you all the time.

I really applaud your responsibility and appreciate it.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Default Further Update

well my mate wayne isnt happy about not having any lasers at the show, so after much debate and thought on the matter we have managed to come to a suitable conclusion. we wont be using our laser at the gig, instead some folks from www.laserelectronicsltd.co.uk/ will be bringing 2 500mW lasers for us, setting them up and showing me how to use them, showing me how to use their software and letting me do the show for the night with them supervising.
    This will be a good opportunity for me to learn first hand the ins and outs of whats required for further shows.

wayne wants me to review their software as well, as they have offered us a laser package with everything we need including the software for less than what we bought our laser for, but the software is in house made, so it might not be up to the standards of the pangolin software.

You're in good hands and I think you'll find that Zion is more than up to the job. Why don't you download one of the demos even if it's only Millenium, they're very similar as far as I recall.

they told me they dont require a DAC for their software, but ive also been told that plugging the laser directly into the PC could damage the laser or the PC so i wasnt sure if i should try it.