Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: FlexMod P3 Analog/TTL Laser Diode Driver

I recieved 4 Flexmod's this week, I can conform that the interlock pad should be linked to the +ve supply. It's right there in the 2 page manual provided.
    This space for rent.

Default Green laser diode from laser pointer

Can I use laser diode from this laser pointer with that driver?

For very short periods of time, yes. The problem is not the driver. It has no problem powering just about any solid state laser.

The problem is that the laser you're looking at is a pointer, and as such it's not designed for continuous operation. Unlike a lab laser, a pointer module has little if any heat-sinking. It will overheat after just a few minutes of continuous use.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    For very short periods of time, yes. The problem is not the driver. It has no problem powering just about any solid state laser.

The problem is that the laser you're looking at is a pointer, and as such it's not designed for continuous operation. Unlike a lab laser, a pointer module has little if any heat-sinking. It will overheat after just a few minutes of continuous use.

Adam
    Thank you for answer. So, I can use it for short period of time. If I improve colling then this period will be longer. I'm trying to construct only basic laser light show and few minutes is enough for me.
    Last edited by rolex; 02-05-2011 at 08:50.

If your goal is to build a laser light show projector, you would be better off buying (or building) a lab-style module. That way you'll have the proper heat-sinking right from the start. Trying to build a heat-sink that will work with a pointer module is going to be difficult, though if you have access to machining tools (a lathe or a mill) it can be done.

Adam

Default Heat-sink

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    If your goal is to build a laser light show projector, you would be better off buying (or building) a lab-style module. That way you'll have the proper heat-sinking right from the start. Trying to build a heat-sink that will work with a pointer module is going to be difficult, though if you have access to machining tools (a lathe or a mill) it can be done.

Adam
    Do you have instructions for building heat-sink?
    Does that heat-sink must be of TEC type?
    I have access to lathe.

No, I do not. It would need to be custom-formed to match the module you were using. The idea is to machine a hole in a thick plate that fits the diode perfectly so that heat can be transmitted to the plate. Some people have used a solid block as a starting point, and then they cut fins into the sides to increase the surface area, which increases the heat transfer to the air.

Look in the 445 nm sub-forum. There are a few designs there that should give you some inspiration. But as I said, whatever you build is going to have to be custom-sized to the module you end up using.

If you are only going to run the laser at 100 mw, you won't need a TEC unit to actively cool the heat sink. (Although it would probably function better if it was TEC-cooled.)

Adam

Question re continuous power rating. Is it conservative? I need to run each FlexMod at 22 watts for hours. If run with 19V input and 1.2 A would there be any special cooling requirements?

You would want to put a rather beefy heatsink on it to keep the case temperature near room temperature. For the output transistor, which is the limiting factor:
    Absolute maximum ratings:
    With case temperature: 25C 33W
    With case temperature at 100C: 20W
    Power derating factor: 0.26W/degC

Alternately you could use two drivers in parallel and allow the heatsink to get hotter.

It might be worth bolting a TEC and a Flexmod to this baby.

I don't recall any DPSS pointer cores making 800mW CW for short periods. Anyone already got their hands on one of these? It would need some rather beefy heatsinking and modulate like a pile of horse-manure, but it could be a good 800mw labbie on the cheap.