Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right place - right time: Fighter Jet crash photos

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    ...... I think the P and W power plants would not have enough torque to incite a noticable "P" factor.
    Speak English Godamnit !!

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Speak English Godamnit !!
    P and W = Pratt and Whitney (Engine manufacturer)

P Factor... Relates to the torque effect on the airframe especially on twin engine aircraft, usually prop jobs.

P factor really isn't the issue here. This is a standard "stunt" maneuver done to impress the crowd. Based on my research, the engine had a flameout in a stall and ofcourse lacked the foward speed to compensate for the power needed for the maneuver. In my opinion... NOT PILOT ERROR. The aircraft died from an acute case of airshowitis due to a minor case of Murphy's law.

If the aircraft was 10,000 Ft. AGL at cruising speed, as it was built for, The flameout would have been resolved and the aircraft would have landed safely.

I'm not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Old pilot joke, If you have P&W on your airplane, you had best have M&B or ACES as well. He had ACES II. For those who don't know, Martin Baker makes ejection seats.

I've seen that move many, many times, and he went in lower and slower then I've seen it done. I watched a US pilot do that for 5500 feet, but at a much higher altitude and airspeed. Its still cool when done faster.

Airshowitus is about right. I was hoping for equipment failure, but I guess he took it out of the envelope.

For our next aviation video, watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uh4yMAx2UA

6 SAMs, no waiting.
    Tones start at 1:20 or so.
    And his Chaff/Flare/Jammer ejector failed.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

After chatting it up with a friend at PAFB he thinks the guy had a compressor stall. Not enough relevant power in one power plant left to spool up. The P&W does seem to introduces a small torque factor with one engine spooling up. Not enough to make mention of. Any how its a lesson learned....low and slow=impact hazzard. Unless you are this lucky guy....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfeML...eature=related
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich