Thread: Ever had this happen?

Question Ever had this happen?

Ok I have a 473nm. laser that came out of my old laserworld laser.... Well when it was in there it never would do more than 20mw.. It says its a 50mw... So I got it out to mess with and it wouldnt do more than 10mws, even after cleaning it. Well the other day I picked it up to move it and I heard some thing banging around inside,pluged it in and nothing... well after getting it open, I found the crystal and the copper top, had fallen off.After a good cleaning, and a drop of glue, and so alinement.. It now does 50 -75mws.!!!! Just depends on the room temp. Anyone ever heard of this before?
    And some nice pics. of the guts!
    enjoy!
    DJ Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 019.jpg  

Picture 020.jpg  

Picture 017.jpg  

Picture 018.jpg  

Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Thumbs up

You got lucky, Matt!

Obviously the cavity wasn't aligned worth a damn. When it fell apart, you had to re-align it. And without any real work on your part, it looks like you nailed it!

Congratulations. Mike (Mecheng3) will probably want to have a peek inside that thing at SELEM now that you've tweaked it.

Adam

Laserworld you say? hmmm. It's a good thing that it didn't damage the optics or diode while rattling around. It's a good lesson: if one hears a rattling sound inside their laser head, DO NOT SHAKE.. carefully investigate.

I haven't had such a lucky break, however I do find it odd how similar that laser is to the BWTek ones that have been on ebay for super cheap recently. They have the power control set for ~7mw, and will put out 20-30mw when you take off the photodiode (causing the driver to run the diode at full current, ~2A) It does have nicer beam shaping optics after the pump diode, but the laser cavity itself looks identical. What current does your system run at? http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11161

I am not sure if all of the small 473nm lasers are set up that way, perhaps the laserorle is a clone of the BWTek?

I haven't had one fall off but I have tweaked shit loads of power and a better beam profile by spending a couple of hours aligning the cavity (473s and 532s).
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

oh it happens i was doing a new years eve show at a large nyc night club and the bass rattled my vanidate loose on my 3w melles
    and after that we had no show

but at the time having one melles was a big deal (it was over $10k )i didnt have the funds to own a back up at that time

Red face

I wasnt sure if it would ever lase again.. But thankfuly it did!!

And yes if something is floping around inside a DPSS laser...Dont shake it!!

Your right they do look alike...hmmm...

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Question

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    I haven't had such a lucky break, however I do find it odd how similar that laser is to the BWTek ones that have been on ebay for super cheap recently. They have the power control set for ~7mw, and will put out 20-30mw when you take off the photodiode (causing the driver to run the diode at full current, ~2A) It does have nicer beam shaping optics after the pump diode, but the laser cavity itself looks identical. What current does your system run at? http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11161

I am not sure if all of the small 473nm lasers are set up that way, perhaps the laserorle is a clone of the BWTek?
    Im not sure... Ill have to find out... Its got me thinking too....

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    I wasnt sure if it would ever lase again.. But thankfuly it did!!

And yes if something is floping around inside a DPSS laser...Dont shake it!!

Your right they do look alike...hmmm...

DJ Matt

Yours looks like a standard CNI MBL-III-473, while the B&W units are similar but with anamorphic prisms instead of just a lens for pump correction.

EDIT: krazer already mentioned this.. my bad.