Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80's Party Laser Show

Default 80's Party Laser Show

Hey everyone-

this is a video i just found of an 80's party i do every year with a DJ/Lighting company for Yale University. its a pretty big event and they go absolutely insane when the lasers kick on. Just thought I'd share the video.

this is not my video. I just found it on you tube.

nothing spectacular or fancy. Just a fun, big colaberative production

http://www.youtube.com/user/CorrPros#p/u/5/-r390auq2n8

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

looks really good, but only one laser!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    It's not the quantity it's the size that counts

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i watched it until they started playing bon jovi, then i went into my dark place.

(visualizing fuzzy kittens and puppies)

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Hey everyone-

this is a video i just found of an 80's party i do every year with a DJ/Lighting company for Yale University. its a pretty big event and they go absolutely insane when the lasers kick on. Just thought I'd share the video.

this is not my video. I just found it on you tube.

nothing spectacular or fancy. Just a fun, big colaberative production

http://www.youtube.com/user/CorrPros#p/u/5/-r390auq2n8

-Marc
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

LOL-

yeah, just one. believe it or not, there is not a big budget for this. In fact i am subcontracted out from the DJ company and i only charge them a wholesale show cost of $750. I will not bring out 2 lasers for $750! and to set this up dead center, with all the other video, staging, sound, screens, and everything is too much of a pain in the ass.

this is 2000 drunk, horny, college kids...lol, they could care less where the laser is. they just see bright beams and go nuts.

But i agree, 2 systems and/or full color would be ideal. just no budget for it.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

Authorized Dealer for:

• X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers

we must live in different worlds $750 is worth 3 if not more lasers
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

yes, different worlds.

most companies here wont even answer the phone for a show less than $750.

I get calls for $500 shows all the time. i tell them to tie a few laser pointers to the end of a string and swing it around. Thats what a $500 laser budget will get you. if it is a club i have done work for before and it is a very local show, i *may* pop in and do a 1-2 hour show. thats about it.

too many restrictions, costs, liabilities and hoops to jump through over here to do under value shows.

Same with club DJ's. EVERYBODY in the world all of a sudden is a "nightclub DJ." they get hired to do clubs for $150-$250 per night when the fact of the matter is quality DJ's should be demanding much more money for their talents and their art form.

in my own personal opinion it is not worth doing a laser show for <$1000. there are too many costs of business to justify that type of liability and it de-values the art form of performing laser shows.

When a company does a $500 laser show, people will begin to expect laser shows for $500. When $500 laser shows are the norm over here, then its time for me to throw the towel in.

there is a market for quality and there is a market for quantity. i choose quality and am quite happy with my 1-2 shows per month.

-Marc

Authorized Dealer for:

• X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers

Thats what fucked up the industry over here.

Loads of people get cheap projectors and all try to undercut everyone lese for gigs.
    Sometimes I wish DPSS had never been invented.

yeah, i gotta agree with quazar. Sorry Andy. but $750 for 3 laser systems? that is nuts. for $750 i would bring *maybe* 3 par lights with a 3 channel color chaser. i am by no means putting you down but that just makes no sense to me.

i came up with a very simple base line for show charges and my bare minimum charges to do a show. (obviously there are extenuating circumstances. i "cut people breaks" if the need arises).

1- what is the most expensive thing to replace (*not* including a laser module) if something breaks at a show? Chances are, it is a set of scanners. Ok, so for an average set of scanners, you're looking at what, $500 approx.

2- What is your time (and chances are a tech with you also) worth? I would guesstimate a *very lowball* figure for labor of $20/ hour. So, between show set up, aiming, show performance, breakdown- the average show is 7 hours. For this example, we'll use a nightclub over here. Average clubs doors open at 9 pm. i have to show up at a MINIMUM of 8 pm to set up and aim. then im there from 9-2 am (5 hours) then another hour to breakdown. so, 7 total hours. $20X7 hours= $140 (and then if you have a tech= $280)

3- So, we are at $500+$140= $640

4- What is your expertise and show programming and performance worth? i would hope there is some charge in there. I would throw a bare minimum of $250 for a basic club gig.

5- Insurance costs?

6- Business costs?

7- Travel costs?

If you are running a business (which i am) and you do shows for $500-$750 you would go bankrupt in 6 months. How you manage to make profits and support a business doing $750 3 laser laser shows is mind boggling.

If you took that $750 charge and divided it out for the amount of time you put into the show and your expenses you probably are PAYING THEM to do the show! lol. Or you are making minimum wage (or barely above) and at that point i owuld rather just work at McDonalds flipping burgers or something. No liability in that!

When a product and/or service gets devalued, it is expected to become the norm. it is up to the product and service providers to NOT let that happen!

-Marc

Authorized Dealer for:

• X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers

Prior to DPSS lasers springing up everywhere, I would regularly get £500 for a show with the ALC68. I would put a single of 60X out for £300 and had plenty of work. The 2011 didnt go out for less than a grand! This was 12 years ago when £500 was worth a fair bit more than it is today.

As everyone and their dog now offers a DPSS show for £100, it doesnt cover the petrol, beer and food you and a mate would get through doing a gig in London.