Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between software

Question Differences between software

Sorry, I really do not want to clutter up the board. I know this probably sounds redundant to most of you. I have spent quite a few hours digging through old threads, and while I have found some useful information, I still have a few questions. I've seen a lot of software discussion on here, but I feel like I still don't have a good understanding of what makes one better/different from the others. If I purchase software it probably won't be the high end Pangolin products, but I am considering Flashback 3. Would anyone care to discuss the differences between the software packages. Like what is the difference from Quick Show and LA Studio? Also, I have heard a lot of discussion about Phoenix and Mamba Black. I'm mostly interested in beam shows and am not looking to create my own shows, but use mostly pre-made shows for playback. Also, does most software let you create your own text? If I can gather some good information, I would like to compile it into this thread and use it as a reference thread for future use.

Thank you.
    - instinct

Softwares like Mamba, Phoenix etc. are basically the same with small differences in terms of features. Pangolin LD2000 represents a very big leap in comparison to other programs but it is not cheap.

The new QuickShow software is excellent for beginners and casual users - for example, it offers far better text projection options than any other software (even LD2000 in some aspects), but it is intended mostly for live use...

Mamba and Phoenix have basic text capabilites, but offer fairly good show-playback options...

I think you should consider Pangolin LD2000 Intro + Flashback (Quickshow) - it will give you all the options you need, and still provide room for later expansion to high-end LD systems.

Hi.

Have look on Fiest.NET as well. It is very easy to use, yet powerful piece of kit. And can be run wireless as well.
    You can play all ILDA format shows on it and it comes with good few pre-programmed shows as well as lots of effects.
    To create the text is really easy - takes about 10 seconds.
    KVANT is using this all the time together with METRIX device and Pangolin for complicated graphics - but for basic stuff and shows it is excellent!

And we sell it as well :-) ,but full info + FREE FULL VERSION DOWNLOAD (you can start programming and exploring straight away) can be found here:

www.showtacle.sk

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Photonic View Post
    Softwares like Mamba, Phoenix etc. are basically the same with small differences in terms of features. Pangolin LD2000 represents a very big leap in comparison to other programs but it is not cheap.

The new QuickShow software is excellent for beginners and casual users - for example, it offers far better text projection options than any other software (even LD2000 in some aspects), but it is intended mostly for live use...

Mamba and Phoenix have basic text capabilites, but offer fairly good show-playback options...

I think you should consider Pangolin LD2000 Intro + Flashback (Quickshow) - it will give you all the options you need, and still provide room for later expansion to high-end LD systems.
    Thanks. I've been talking to a dealer through email where he told me that Pangolin is known to produce more vibrant colors and has better quality frame rates. Anyone know what the going price for Flashback 3 is?

Also, Are most of the software products sold through private dealers or are they available on websites? Also, with the .ILD files, are they compatible from software to software? I know I can use other open source software with the Mamba Dac as well, so I'm assuming those will be compatible?

Edit: I found this thread:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hp/t-3159.html

It has a lot of the prices listed.. but I don't know how out of date they are.
    Last edited by instinct; 08-02-2010 at 13:46.
    - instinct

Your best bet for an accurate FB3 price is to contact Pangolin directly via the website & get a quote.

Keep in mind that any FB3 purchase gets you QuickShow (with updates, forever!), LiveQUICK, and the LAStudio suite download for free...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by pelosh View Post
    Hi.

Have look on Fiest.NET as well. It is very easy to use, yet powerful piece of kit. And can be run wireless as well.
    You can play all ILDA format shows on it and it comes with good few pre-programmed shows as well as lots of effects.
    To create the text is really easy - takes about 10 seconds.
    KVANT is using this all the time together with METRIX device and Pangolin for complicated graphics - but for basic stuff and shows it is excellent!

And we sell it as well :-) ,but full info + FREE FULL VERSION DOWNLOAD (you can start programming and exploring straight away) can be found here:

www.showtacle.sk

Cheers
    I'm really liking this software. I love the layout and the easiness of it.
    - instinct

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I have Moncha, Showtacle's other product and have been fairly happy with it (although I'm a newbie). Quite easy to use but not as advanced as I'm discovering I would like.

I downloaded Fiesta! 2 USB last night and can already see how much more advanced (and nice) a product it is. I know I'm going to want something more robust and been thinking that I'll be drinking the Pangolin Kool-aid before it's all done but, Fiesta might just satisfy for awhile. Just like Moncha, the software is free - it's the hardware (DAC) that ends up being what you pay for. I have no idea of the cost and the website wasn't helpful.

Michal or Martin - care to give a hint in U.S. dollars?

FYI - An unnamed authority said avoid Phoenix like the plague and mentioned Quickshow was his favorite.

~Brad
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 08-05-2010 at 03:43. Reason: typo

yep i just found out the hard way, when i went to update Phoenix

now i have to pay another 100 quid to get the latest verison, when i bought it they told me updates were free for life and they were for a while, but not this month
    http://inselaffe.org

http://www.myspace.com/majorleeblunt

An Eye for a Eye only makes the World Blind - Ghandi

Laserworld 750mW Proline RGB
    Laserworld Quad 400mW RG
    Lanta 180mW RGY

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I don't think it will be long before I'm drinking the Pangolin Kool-Aid and, I was right! About 5 or 6 days to be exact! The LD2000 intro version along with a laptop and docking station for the QM2000.

I can already tell you that it's probably going to have quite the learning curve. I'm not great with learning and remembering software but, the video tutorials have been helpful.

I still think Fiesta2 appears to be an easier piece of software to learn although it's roughly the same price. What it isn't though, is the world standard for laser software. In general, I think there is more out there for Pangolin products (both in shows and support) than anything else. That's one of the reasons I bought it.

After attending SELEM and meeting Bill Benner, I think I made a wise choice. Moncha and Fiesta2 are good but, for the same money, you'll find Quickshow and LD2000 are going to give you a lot more people here that can provide you with answers to questions when they come up.

Welcome to Pangolin Brad!

Youre hooked now!!!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems