Thread: Urgent Help with clamping Neo-Laser NLP1500LDRGB What clamp is needed

Question Urgent Help with clamping Neo-Laser NLP1500LDRGB What clamp is needed

hello again everyone could you guys help i am probally being really dumb on this one but here is the picture of the laser sorry not proper photo laser in store the holes are 4 inches apart would 2 g clamps on either side do the job also is a g clamp the same as an s clamp, where can you buy a s clamp many thanks regards please help asap as have event coming up soon where it needs to be mounted
    also meant to say have attached two pictures one 1500mw version the one i have and 3000mw version so you can see the holes for clamps 1500mw version has two and not the third at back on either side
    sorry to be a pain

Laser.pdf - Adobe Reader.bmp Laser.pdf - Adobe Reader.bmp

I am guessing there are a good few kilos there. If you trust your kit to a £3 g clamp from china, yhen get one of those.

If you want a TUV certified clamp that will support almost anything and is virtually unbreakable, then Doughty Engineering is the place to go. I have used their clamps for many years and there is nothing to touch them. Dont forget safety chains/bonds as well.

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/7/index.htm

Are you sure those brackets at the end are rated to support the weight in suspension (Does the manual document how to fly the thing)?

Two things worry me, firstly the fixing between the bracket and the laser head does not look particularly solid in one of the pictures, and the bracket looks like it will not put the centre of mass in line with the clamp when the bracket is horizontal, and secondly there will be quite a lot of strain on the back corner of the bracket...

From the look of the head there MAY be a way to use a couple of span sets and a shackle or two to hang the thing from those brackets on the top at either end (If they are rated for overhead suspension, check the manual), but then you would also need a safety bond from some other independent point.

The key phrase you are looking for is "Half Coupler" and if you are going onto standard scaff or truss then you want 50mm units (scaff is actually 48.3mm, but a truss clamp is close enough).

There is nowhere on the photos that looks like a point for a safety bond wire, is it on the back or is the thing not in fact designed to be flown?

I second the suggestion to have a look at the Doughty engineering catalogue, excellent kit.

Regards, Dan.

Question thanks for previous responses another quick question

thanks i have looked into doughty clamps and they look the way to go in the manual they say that you can mount it on a wall and trussing with any standard clamp ??? the weight of it is around 35kg it is just weird because as the holes are only 4 inches apart by the looks of it it won't fit onto regular trussing if you are using both holes either side of the laser also regarding the bracket at the end are i think the most thickest metal i have seen used for a clamp it is about the same thickness as a closed macbook pro maybe slightly thicker and the bolts are also Very heavy duty also regarding bolts and nuts could either of you recommend i have looked around and found these would you say they would do the job http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/M12.html
    i would rather pay more than the laser to get damaged
    thanks regards george

M12 set screws are probably what you want.

With only 35Kg to hang a single half coupler per side should be suitable and you shouldn't need to go to grade 8.8 or anything particularly high tensile like that.

Washers and lock nuts are a good idea but I tend to prefer two nuts rather then a nylock as the two nuts solution is reusable where nylock is pretty much single use.

Do make sure the mounting holes in the bracket will clear a 12mm diameter thread.

You will also need a fairly heavy safety bond wire and suitable hardware.

Have fun, and be safe.
    Regards, Dan.