Thread: QuickShow 2.0 coming soon -- Bigger and Better than ever

Default QuickShow 2.0 coming soon -- Bigger and Better than ever

Hi all,

We're working on the final touches to QuickShow version 2.0. The latest version supports multiple languages (and this is a big program -- not just a few hundred text strings as is typical with other programs). Tons of new features -- too many to mention in this post.

Anyway, one noteworthy point. Every once in a while we do a "line count" -- to see how many lines of code the program is getting up to. I would estimate most laser programs in this industry to be well under 100,000 lines of code.

Well, the latest version of QuickShow has more than 100 windows and more than 630,000 lines of code! The program itself tops 12MB! Check out this information dialog box...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QS_Compilation_Info.PNG 
Views:	69 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	18441

Now, before some smart-aleck programmers start talking about "bloat ware", lets see someone else come up with a program that does what QS does, regardless of the number of lines .

Best regards,

William Benner

Care to speculate when 'soon' might be roughly Bill?

Also, will there be/are there already any release notes we can see to find out about the new features?

Dats a lot ! 630k ..and i thought 50k was a lot in alphalite ...mind you to be fair rick did hand code it on its own ..weras no doubt you had a team working on it ! kudos to both

Id love to know if any of those 630k lines is code linked to some free synchronised shows ..i know its pushing it for an already tremendous value package but theres not a lot going about !

Paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

I was actually looking to purchase Quickshow within the next few days or at SELEM. Should I wait till 2.0 comes out or would I just be able to purchase a copy now and upgrade for free later?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    I was actually looking to purchase Quickshow within the next few days or at SELEM. Should I wait till 2.0 comes out or would I just be able to purchase a copy now and upgrade for free later?
    With Pangolin, Updates are always Free!

Smile

I'd buy it now so you get some experience with it before SELEM. As EvilAdam said, the upgrade will be free for you anyway.

Also, Bill will be demoing QuickShow Version 2.0 at SELEM for anyone that wants to see it.

Adam

Good stuff. I'd certainly hope a programmer would know better than to call that bloatware. 630,000 lines down to 12MB + libs is pretty lean.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Care to speculate when 'soon' might be roughly Bill?
    Hehe. I should have learned better than to promise a specific date. But I will say that we're pretty much down to the wire. Now we are doing what we call "surface cleaning". This picks up all of the misspellings and such. Also, some icons get changed here or there for clarity.

Internally we're up to build 228. If there is anyone interested in testing a version that's pretty close to the end, you know how to reach us...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Also, will there be/are there already any release notes we can see to find out about the new features?
    Yes, we always put that in the "Version info" tab within the About Box, and also in the help file. Once we release there will be plenty of good info. I also plan on making a kind of "what's new" video too. There is really quite a bit new, including a completely new way to access multiple scanners and multiple zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Id love to know if any of those 630k lines is code linked to some free synchronised shows ..i know its pushing it for an already tremendous value package but theres not a lot going about !
    No shows in the update. But we have been contacted by a lot of people who are doing shows with it. I assume they are members of the Photon Lexicon community. A few very helpful people wrote to us and helped us to fine-tune the timeline, which is now very different from what it was in build 128.

Our show portal is almost here as well. Only 11 more bitmaps to go (we produce bitmaps to communicate visually about problems) and most of those were typos and such. So I figure once the show portal is operational, folks will be uploading shows they made in QS.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    Adam and Adam were correct about updates being free. We started that trend back in 1986. Competitors followed us for a while -- perhaps as long as they could. But most recently they are charging a few hundred bucks for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Good stuff. I'd certainly hope a programmer would know better than to call that bloatware. 630,000 lines down to 12MB + libs is pretty lean.
    Actually it gets leaner... The increase from 8MB to 12MB was the incorporation of the text for the translations. We're now supporting four languages but we have a way that more can be added pretty easily, and even directly by someone who wants to do a translation.

Bill