Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QM2000 Memory

Default QM2000 Memory

I've read in passing can't find the links currently of people using 1gig of memory in the QM2000. Pango's site states it is possible, but unfortunately Bill couldn't provide me with the info stating (to paraphrase) that 1GB is a theoretical capability.

Is anyone running with a 1gig configuration, Also if Pangolin reads this could you please post the exact memory requirements are? in my layman's terms what is checked for when reading the little chip on the sticks of memory, so that I could ask some of the programming guru's what I need. Thanks

John
    leading in trailing technology

As far as I know, the QM2000 can only handle up to 512MB of single sided memory.

See Link...
    http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/qm2000memory.htm

That must be one HELL of a long show if you really need a gig of memory.

See link http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/qm2000board.htm

from there: At the top is the memory module. You can have only one memory module at a time; this card can have a capacity of up to 1GB RAM! Note that the QM2000 uses single-sided memory modules.

Large abstract ADAT capture.

best to contact Pangolin directly.

I vaguely remember having to send one of our older cards back for firmware upgrade to be able to use more memory..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    best to contact Pangolin directly.

I vaguely remember having to send one of our older cards back for firmware upgrade to be able to use more memory..
    I did and got this response " 1GB is a theoretical capability, but we have not found SDRAM DIMMS that are single sided and have the right number of rows and columns to work. These may exist insomuch as special server memory or something like that."

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    I did and got this response " 1GB is a theoretical capability, but we have not found SDRAM DIMMS that are single sided and have the right number of rows and columns to work. These may exist insomuch as special server memory or something like that."
    Well, that's a straight forward response. He is saying the QM2000 board is "Capable" of supporting 1GB, the problem is finding a single sided SDRAM DIMM that is 1GB. Sounds like you may have to try a few different RAM modules to find one that will interface correctly.

Again, What the heck would you need 1GB of RAM for? You have a show that's that graphics intensive or 4 hours long?

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Well, that's a straight forward response. He is saying the QM2000 board is "Capable" of supporting 1GB, the problem is finding a single sided SDRAM DIMM. Sounds like you may have to try a few different RAM modules to find one that will interface correctly.

Again, What the heck would you need 1GB of ram for? You have a show that's that graphics intensive or 4 hours long?

There are abstract hour long ADAT tapes that will not fit onto a 512mb stick.

Now that I have a analog PJ and can setup the pallets correct it looks so much better than straight ADAT, I want to convert some shows for use in pango. When I was TTL i didn't care and just went with ADAT.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Sounds like you may have to try a few different RAM modules to find one that will interface correctly.

Correct, but I would think pangolin could specify what there controller is looking for in timings, voltage and whatever else is checked in the handshaking of the memory sticks to controller.

That is one of the problems with ripping from ADAT to the QM2K, it's terribly inefficient. I can load up a show that's 3meg into the QM2K, dump it to adat, rip it back from the adat and it's 100meg.

The way I understand it, if your firmware supports it, and you want 1gig, you can install a 2gig double sided board and the QM2K will use the 1gig on one side. I've never seen it work or even tried it though. I run 512meg on mine, primarily due to a 55 minute show I bought from M. Dunn that consists of about 43,000 frames.

most 2gb modules are going to be ECC registered (for servers) so I doubt they will work in the QM... I never understood why the QM used PC-133... its not like it loads the shows quickly, using CF cards would have been a better choice I think for future proofing... even if they had only gone with FAT16 or something they still could have used 2GB cards

maybe we can get a QM2010 that uses DDR2 or DDR3?

one can dream right?

I dont bother importing shows with LC-ADAT... its just too much of a hassle and then takes forever to load etc etc

get yourself a USB-soundcard dac and just "play" the ADAT tapes out the soundcard, works great and you can play back hour long shows without any load time, and make playlists in whatever player your using and watch multiple hour-long shows without load times or clicking anything