Thread: Another newbie question aimed at builders

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Another newbie question aimed at builders

I suppose I could save this for SELEM but, driving in the car to work this morning, this popped into my head.

Assuming you have two lasers, each from the same product line and manufacturer. Same case, same galvos etc. and for sake of argument, we'll use an RGB. One is a 240mW and the other is a 380mW.

Hypothetically something is wrong with the 380, maybe a bad galvo or power supply or something. The 240mW works fine.

The 240 has say, a 100mw red, 80mw blue and 60mw green and the 380 had a 150mw red, 120 mw blue and 90mw green. What else would there be to do besides simply swapping out each diode in order to make the 240mw work with the diodes pulled from the 380?

I don't know all the various parts inside so, I don't know if this requires too lengthy an answer for a forum.

(and yes... I have this situation but, the mW above are totally hypothetical)

Thanks!
    ~Brad

Lightbulb

I say it would be easier to swap galvos; assuming that was the problem. Try to move the least amount of components. I'd bring both of them to SELEM; just in case there is someone there who can troubleshoot a projector.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

swapping parts is an *option* but not one that is reccomended unless you absolutely have to.

Lasers and drivers are matched with each other just as amps and scanners are matched. A lasers specific driver is "tuned" to the head. TEC settings (if applicable) current ratings, voltages are all set for a specific laser. Now again, 99% of the time with all things being equal, these could be swappable for same items. however you may be taking a "hot" driver and hooking it to a head that my not be able to handle the higher power. and you could end up ruining your head over time.

now, if youre at a show, and the fit hits the shan, and you need to start rigging components to get you through the show, well....thats obviously what you need to do. but i wouldnt do it everyday.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Thanks! That pretty much sums up my question. As I said, since I'm not "up" yet on the various components inside the case, I didn't know how difficult a process that might be.

Sounds like, in general, that if you are "upgrading" a laser, that several parts need to be upgraded at once and you can't really just swap out a diode.

Same with computers to a degree, (which I have considerably more experience with building, tearing apart, harvesting parts, etc.). Sure, some things you can tweak on their own periodically but other times, it HAS to be the trinity of cpu, motherboard, and memory all at the same time.

Thanks again!

Smile

Either way though, bring it to SELEM and I'm *certain* that someone will be able to take a look at it and advise you on the best course of action.

Granted, replacing lasers is rather involved, but given the recent price drops, it's really a rather affordable option. Galvo swaps, on the other hand, are quite common and much easier.

Adam

Oh, I will! I'm going to throw everything non "run of the mill" in the car. (I've got a couple of questions about each of them.)

CR-Tec System 7-M RGB
    CR Tec System 7-S RGB
    Meierlight ME LAS-4 RBG
    Laserworld CR-250-G
    Moncha Pro 2.1 USB DAC

I've got 6 other lasers that won't be of interest to this group. 2 Chauvet scorpion storm RG's, a Scorpion storm MG, the Grafx Express moving head, a Scorpion L20, and a cool little $10 150mW chinese twinkle. No sense putting them in the car.