Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper or Plastic? Pair of mini scanners

Default Paper or Plastic? Pair of mini scanners

I thought I'd share a couple pics of my latest- a pair of mini RGY scanners.
    I saw these old grocery store scanners and thought the cases would be perfect for what I wanted. They are, of course, "laser scanners" so why not?

I put some more pics with comments in an album here:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hp?albumid=140

They are getting pretty near completion, so I'll post more as things come together.
    The lasers are LaserWave 100mw 532nm from Dave "The Man" at LSP and (very soon) some tasty Red Lava 130mw 642nm from DrLava.
    Scanners are DT25 from our friend DZ

-Mike

Before:

A local machine shop gave me a great deal on 2 cut-to-fit 1/4" AL plates. The standoffs are from the original guts of the scanner. The next picture has the main plate flipped over so I could work on things. Its more compact when it is oriented in its actual upside down position.

Ready to close- dimensions are 9x11x5

On a stand:
    Last edited by mikkojay; 10-04-2009 at 00:06.

That is awesome! You even have a built in emission indicator..

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

That is a great use of the box! Very nice work!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Hey thanks guys- yeah, I had the emission indicator thought the instant I saw the front of these
    Building two identical projectors side by side has been interesting. I do a little on one, then do the same to the other (only twice as fast, and just a bit better). These projectors are just falling into place so far- I cannot wait to get some red in there and fire them up!
    -Mike

That's really cool! Nice work and very creative. Be sure to remove the "Class 1 Laser Product" stickers.

Thanks Adam- hey, what is the status of the board/kit you mentioned in this thread?: ILDA Compliant Projector Safety Board...
    These boxes are at the stage of the build where it would be a perfect time to integrate some safety features into what little room I have leftover. That small all-in-one board would be great.
    I'm going to try to print a few of my own labels, we'll see if my printer can produce something worthwhile.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Thanks Adam- hey, what is the status of the board/kit you mentioned in this thread?: ILDA Compliant Projector Safety Board...
    These boxes are at the stage of the build where it would be a perfect time to integrate some safety features into what little room I have leftover. That small all-in-one board would be great.
    I'm going to try to print a few of my own labels, we'll see if my printer can produce something worthwhile.
    -Mike

Hey Mike,
    Good and bad. Unfortunately I've been really busy lately and haven't worked on it much. However, I have come up with a very good game plan on it and I think everyone will appreciate the final result. Versitility, ease of integration, expandability and ofcourse safety are my top priorities for this project. I have the circuits all basically laid out but I need help with a little programming. This C++ stuff requires more of a learning curve than I'm willing to dive into right now. I am working out a deal with a local programmer to help me out and get it sorted. Maybe I'll have something to show by December, we'll see though.

That sounds good- there is no sense in rushing a good design. C++ can sure be finicky- sounds interesting. Keep us posted on that one, I am sure there are a lot of people besides myself who are interested in that project.
    -Mike

Hi, nice work!

Would you be willing to sell the HeNe tubes and the hexagonal scanners? I have a project I could use these with. If so, how much would you want?

Cheers,
    Dan

Hey Dan,
    I guess because of the distance, the only thing would be shipping costs- I wonder if anyone here knows the most economical method to ship from USA to AU? You can basically have them for asking I just need to figure out the shipping deal. I cut one of the high tension leads on one of the tubes while dismantling, the other one is pretty much left whole as in the pic. I left enough length so it should be a snap to solder back. Send me a PM and we should be able to figure something out.
    -Mike