Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FB3 not being recognized by my laptop

@Heroic

You've got all old stuff as far as I know. One of the very early FB3, and also a pretty old version of LivePRO and I suspect old drivers too. Things have changed...

And regarding your comments about "poor this" and "poor that", these are statements of your opinion and not fact. I don't recall even so much as a single email from you contacting us to report problems or asking for help. We can't help anyone who doesn't reach out to us. Complaining on forums is therefore disingenuous, especially since the people on this forum can't offer you new software, new hardware or any other real solutions.

@Everyone else:

I will be at SELEM and I will bring several new FB3 and LD2000 systems. If anyone is having difficulties, I'd be happy to look at things there and drill down and find out what's going on. Although it's the first time I've heard of it, apparently any similar problem could be due to a defective USB daughterboard, as was found to be the case above. We'll gladly swap any defective hardware we find.

Best regards,

William Benner

bill thanks for your comments, is there an easy way to check the daughter board?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    @Heroic

You've got all old stuff as far as I know. One of the very early FB3, and also a pretty old version of LivePRO and I suspect old drivers too. Things have changed...
    I have a brand new FB3 that shipped with QuickShow, and we keep our stuff up to date. It is disingenuous of you to assert that I have some inherent problem with my gear when you don't have any idea what I am running.

As for bug reports- we have made several, including a lengthy email thread with you; I have one of my staff do it, since I'm too busy designing usb hardware to write up the problems in yours.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    As for bug reports- we have made several, including a lengthy email thread with you.
    Have your staff contact me again since we're just about to release a new version of all software. And have them include the FB3 serial number since we'll want to make sure you are really up to date with both hardware and software...

As a final point, if you're not happy with the software and hardware, simply return it and we'll give you a refund! If somebody else's software or hardware will make you happy, just use theirs!

Best regards,

William Benner
    Last edited by Pangolin; 08-16-2010 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    bill thanks for your comments, is there an easy way to check the daughter board?
    Hi Andy,

As I indicated above, really, we've never seen the particular failure or solution that was apparently found by Francesco just the other day. The FB3 has been a VERY reliable platform for this industry. There are thousands in the field, and very few have come back to Pangolin for repair.

I'd recommend you contact Francesco directly as he may have some input as to what he found.

Best regards,

William Benner

ok many thanks .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I would second what Bill has said Andy and get in touch with Francesco if you feel the need.

I just hope I haven't opened a can of worms for Pangolin and they start getting a load of PL members complaining about there FB3's acting up.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 08-16-2010 at 15:04.
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    As I indicated above, really, we've never seen the particular failure or solution that was apparently found by Francesco just the other day.
    @ Bill
    The discovery of the problem was actually made by Rob (stanwax) who was given permission to investigate by Francesco. Francesco was kept in the loop throughout via phone calls and emails.

I'm not normally one to correct people but in this case with the outstanding help I got from both Rob and Francesco I think credit should go to where it's due.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

@ Carl,

Well I am glad you got it sorted nonetheless. I'll have to meet Rob some day. Sounds like a great guy!

@ Andy,

Tonight I worked with a guy who writes drivers for ATI and we made a discovery which may help your situation. Seems to work wonders with Windows 7, and may be helpful with other operating systems as well. Please contact me directly and we'll carry this on off-line and see if this new thing affects your problem at all.

Bill

Don't get me wrong, I really want to use the pango stuff; it's by far the best application software. I just wish the lower levels of it worked better and more reliably.

We have four FB3s. One Neo-Laser one that is very old, one older fb3se, one earlyish fb3xe, and one very recent fb3xe that came with the packin quickshow cd. We have updated them all to the most recent firmware and software as downloaded from the pango site, and I have been running them against a usb bus analyzer to try and narrow down the cause of our instability when used together.

The major problem is that the fb3 usb implementation was seemingly written by someone with little knowledge of how descriptors are supposed to be used; they change multiple times in ways that are not allowed in the usb state model, and critical fields like device serial number are never filled in (despite the fact tht fb3s have electronic serials!). This means that they tend to become unmoored from the driver; since windows can only support one combo of endpoints for any given VID/DID tuple, this confuses things and causes disconnections which are not well handled by the application (LivePro).

Worse, these problems are magnified whe there are multiple fb3s on the bus since usb enumeration cannot under windows be guaranteed to connect a particular endpoint to a particular driver context without the usb device serial number field; without this it uses the bus enumeration to identify devices, which is unreliable on recent chipsets with EHCI; because the fb3 may have several different states, this prevents the driver from tracking which state the fb3s are all in, and this basically screws everything up.
    Last edited by heroic; 08-18-2010 at 21:46.