Thread: Best heat sink

Default Best heat sink

Looking for the best combination mount and heat sink for the Diode. Just wondering what others are doing for heat sink obviously trying to drive the diode to as much power as possible safely.
    Looking to build mine into some simple Beams table and just need power with OK beam specs.
    thanks in advance
    Larry

Have a look at Dave's mounting blocks which are IMHO the best mounts/collimator housings around. These may need to be TEC'd for thermal management.

If TECs are not your thing, then a Z-Bolt clam shell heat sink is great, requiring just a fan.

even z-bolt gets warm!

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    even z-bolt gets warm!
    Sure, I guess it depends how "hot" you're running the diode. Although I've yet to run full tests (stay tuned for updates this week). I have run these at about 1W in the Z-Bolt without a fan without it getting too warm (slightly warm to the touch). It is winter here and the heated temp in the workshop about 22 degrees C. I'm using thermal paste between the diode and the Aixiz module, thermal paste between the Z-Bolt and the base plate. I have a fan but it's not yet wired in; this should be done tonight. I'll be able to take some temperature measurements then.

I do still plan on adding a TEC to the base of the Z-Bolt. Particularly for the Aussie summer, but I dont think it's absolutely necessary with this heatsink, I guess it just depends how much you're intending to drive these "little" guys.