Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical Hardware or Software, Whats Your Passion?

Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    Hey man.. nice Jupiter 6 you got there
    wanna trade it for a CNI 250mW 473nm laser? Ok i'll throw in a extra 1.5W 445nm

well..?
    BTW all you Australian guys (I counted 4 so far in this thread).. aren't there any Fairlights lying around at fleamarkets etc over there..? parts perhaps?

Here in holland we can buy old philips parts and instruments for scrap.. figured this would be the same with australian companies
    Hi SideFX

My JP-6 is a bit brain dead atm. It got all scrambled and corrupted a few years ago, as they do and I finaly got round to fixing the Europa midi CPU upgrade from Sythcom systems that I originally botched. It works now except the corrupted patches got copied into the new system. I need to muck around with one of the memory chips. I've kind of forgoten what needed fixing now.

My friend Rohan was helping me fix it but it's on the back burner for both of us.

I cant let it beat me.

About the Fairlight gear, I do remember Rohan talking about some old Fairlight system a year or two ago. It's a long shot but if someone had the connections to track stuff like that down he would. If you are serious about finding that stuff I can put you in contact with him. Also Dave may have crossed paths with people in the know to.

Good luck and have fun.
    Kit
    Last edited by kitatit; 08-10-2010 at 06:36. Reason: typo

Hey Guys!
    My dream would be to own a Fairlight CMI (the IIx). I almost bought one from a guy in NY, but we couldn't get the shipment figured out. Do to the shape and weight of the components shipment was a big hassle..
    Parallel dreams perhaps.
    I have always wanted a Fairlight so as to try and SEE the sound by connecting it to some scanners. I even got an old Hammond B3 and rewired it a bit to see some "harmonic" lissajous figures.
    My first laser controllers started life as synthesisers.
    I also managed to get really hypnotic laser shows by "rerecording" the tapes from an old "melotron" with suitable sine/cosine wave forms and feeding the signals simultaneously to both speakers and scanners. The percussion part gets very complicated since one has to translate the rythm into a kind of z axis event tunnel (Dr Who style).

It all came to an abrupt end when the opportunity to make a "true stereo" sampler was passed over by the musical instrument manufacturers. By true stereo I mean the capability of generating both sine and cosine versions of ALL the signals available and mixing them for both image and sound.

Best of luck trying to find your fairlight it was a truly stunning sound machine.
    If you could get a service manual with it I would really like a copy!

Cheers L

Wow, you guys rock! I too collected synths through the 80's and 90's which now just collect dust in a friends basement. My rig currently consists of:

Moog MiniMoog
    Moog MemoryMoog+
    PPG 2.3 w/WaveTerm B
    Juno 60
    Juno 106
    D550
    Jx3p
    DX7
    DX7IId
    TX816
    Kawai K5000s
    Linn Drum
    Oberheim OB8
    Matrix 6R
    Korg DSS1 / DSM1 /poly 800
    Rack of various outboard effects gear
    24 tracks of ADAT
    And I always wanted a FairLight III but couldn't find one.

Hi,

I was one of the guys that made Smogs thread go OT but hey...all my favourite subjects in one place was too much for me!

It all started for me about 1987 when I heard a house music track on a show on swedish national radio (SR). I instantly got hooked and when I got my first Amiga 500 in 1989 I soon got tired of allt the games and discovered tracker software. Octamed, a home built 8-bit mono sampler + cassette recorder was all I needed to get started. I made some horrible breakbeat tunes...
    Soon after that I heard an acid tune on the radio (good programs at the time I guess!) and wanted to know how the hell they managed those insane pitchbends. Some research later I discovered the 303 and swore to use my first salary to buy one.
    My first synth was however a smashed up Korg 800DW that I found at a punk squat party and bought for 10EURO. I soon started buying broken synths and a couple of years later I found a 303 & a 808 in MINT condition for 500EURO. Instant love!
    I still have the 303 but I had to give the 808 to the guy that tipped me of about the deal!
    As I wrote in the previous thread I have hardly ever sold a synth since that day and have both studios and storagerooms full of stuff.
    I also ended up working 8 years at the national radio and picked up about a ton (literally) of surplus high end amps, consoles, tape recordes, outboard, mics. I was at the right place at the right time and saved most of it from a sure dumpster death.

I could write a "brag list" if you want but it is a shitload and I have a lot of it on loan to my friends that actually use the stuff...

In the last 10 years I have drifted off more into modular synth field and also lasers and that takes a lot of time, that and small kids make me very unproductive in the musical department bu I aim to better my self!
    I built a few modular systems and I'm like most modular DIY-ers building The Ultimate Modular(TM)...will be finished sometime in the next 15-20 years I hope!
    Recently I have started to work at an art music institution where I can play/service/develop Serge & Buchlas (and occationally lasers) all day so I'm happy!

Some of my older techno and electronica/IDM tracks can be found at:
    www.myspace.com/danielaraya
    www.icb.se/araya

Sorry if my english is a bit bad, i'm Swedish like the cook in The Muppet Show!

Talking of modular, I always fancied one of the Nord Modulars.
    Anyone played with one?

Theres a nice line of kit here guys, keep it comming....ohhh PPG Wave NICE!

Cheers

I have both Nord modular and G2 rack at work, competent machines that I mainly use to simulate stuff before I think of building them in hardware. The micro modular is also great for live use, set up complex external processing or sound triggerd patches to add to analog live gear, its a very small machine!

There you go!

http://egrefin.free.fr/eng/fairlight/cmi2manuals.php

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    Parallel dreams perhaps.
    I have always wanted a Fairlight so as to try and SEE the sound by connecting it to some scanners. I even got an old Hammond B3 and rewired it a bit to see some "harmonic" lissajous figures.
    My first laser controllers started life as synthesisers.
    I also managed to get really hypnotic laser shows by "rerecording" the tapes from an old "melotron" with suitable sine/cosine wave forms and feeding the signals simultaneously to both speakers and scanners. The percussion part gets very complicated since one has to translate the rythm into a kind of z axis event tunnel (Dr Who style).

It all came to an abrupt end when the opportunity to make a "true stereo" sampler was passed over by the musical instrument manufacturers. By true stereo I mean the capability of generating both sine and cosine versions of ALL the signals available and mixing them for both image and sound.

Best of luck trying to find your fairlight it was a truly stunning sound machine.
    If you could get a service manual with it I would really like a copy!

Cheers L

I started with super duper music looper

Haven't really been into making music, don't really have the patience or interest in it. I appreciate good works though

Quote Originally Posted by jaycey View Post
    Talking of modular, I always fancied one of the Nord Modulars.
    Anyone played with one?
    Thats another one I had - All Clavia stuff is fukn awesome.. You will love it
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Nord modular is Awsome. Unfortunately they have pretty much
    Abandoned any updates for a Mac OSX editor so you pretty much need a dedicated PC for it which is a good way to run it anyway.

I like the way the editor is thought out it's easy to understand what is happening.