Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Information on hazers

Default Information on hazers

Hope you don't mind i'm putting this up in here, i just want to get some advice and info on hazers as i still can't understand the difference between oil-based and water-based hazers. I only know that oil-based leave some garbage on all the stuff whereas water-based shouldn't. But as i read even water-based hazers use glycerin which is part of some fat or oils so if i mix it with water i'll get some oily fluid again or not?

I'm so confused of this, i'm only looking for some cheap fog machine or hazer i could use at home to make the laser beams more visible. It's hard to practice beam shows when you can't see the beams. But i don't want anything that will leave oily mess all over the kitchen

As i live in Europe i don't have good access to the US stuff, so if you could advice me any hardware available over here i'd be grateful.

Ok, I'll try to help...

Oil based hazer = ~2 micron particle size

glycol based hazer = ~20 micron particle size

You can see from the above that oil baser hazers have the potential for a much longer hang time. Good (notice I said 'good') oil based hazers are pretty expensive though. Think MDG Atmosphere etc.

I have a Look Solutions Unique 2 hazer which I find to be an excellent compromise, this unit hardly uses any fluid, has a decent hang time and gives a nice even haze. However, I guess this would be overkill for home use.

The key to not getting residue is to use sparingly and not fog the place to death. Also, the more modern units seem to do a much better job than some of the older units. Remember also that in nightclubs the units are being used night after night, in your home you will more than likely only use it ocassionally. I believe BBC TV use MDG's and Pea Soupers, both are oil based hazers. They wouldn't use them if they left a mess as their camera lenses would soon get soiled.

If your just doing shows at home pretty much any cheap hazer or fogger will probably be ok for the times you're going to use it. Hope that helps you

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 10-19-2009 at 05:48.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

For home use dont use oil crackers, unless you like a oily home

look for a (2nd hand) JEM technohaze, I have 2 of them and I like them very much for small to medium sized venues.

But a smoke machine with a FAN behind it will also do the trick

Or a Martin ZR24/7 or if you do want to go oil based a DF-50

I second the DF-50. That is one hell of a hazer.

I remember I hazed my garage with one once and I couldn't see the fluorescent lights on the ceiling through the haze after 15 minutes.

-Jonathan

im with Mr Mccarrot on this one

i also use a JEM technohaze .... ( also known as a Martin Technohaze )

for small venues and at home its great ... bigger venues it gulps fluid faster than i can drink beer ....

but its pretty damn reliable and a workhorse .... also look at the le maitre range they have a pretty good reputation ....

then after that you start to spend silly money ( well not ... if you are using it every night )

all the billy best .... Karl

You won't go far wrong with Martin / Jem, they only make full professional machines. Even their lowest models will be in a nightclub somewhere.

As you only want something for testing beams at home why not just buy a cheap fogger from Maplin or somewhere similar? Just be aware the cheap ones don't always last very long - they're around £30. Alternatively for around £70-80 you can buy a Martin 650 fog machine. I have one and they're very good quality.

For large amounts of noisy fog its hard to beat the GVG for around the same money - twice the output but less refinement than the Martin. Martin is quiet, GVG will scare the sh*t out of you if you're not expecting it! GVG is a bit overpowered for a kitchen though and would be likely to easily over saturate the atmosphere in a house room I would have thought (unless you're the Queen in which case its just spiffing). Martin 650 is a very balanced solution at that price point. Obviously if you're prepared to spend money then a hazer can be better but there are very few decent hazers under £300.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I have a Look Solutions Unique 2 hazer which I find to be an excellent compromise, this unit hardly uses any fluid, has a decent hang time and gives a nice even haze. However, I guess this would be overkill for home use.

These are our choice for the medium to large venues we do here
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Default What do you think about this one

So far i've found this one that may be suitable:

http://www.soundlights.cz/product/antari-z-300-ii:7061/

Does anyone have experience with Antari products? In the description it is said that it's also suitable for mobile parties and club installations but oh well, the description usually tries to persuade you to buy the product.

Jem and Martin are not so common brand here in CZ, there are some Eurolite products but they seem to me not so good quality.

that looks more than good enough for a first time Hazer

i would start with that .... then buy better when required

all the best ... Karl