Thread: Phase converter

Question Phase converter

Ok Im looking for a phase converter, and Im wondering if it cheaper to make one or buy one already made? Also, what size do I need to run my SP 165?
    DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    Ok Im looking for a phase converter, and Im wondering if it cheaper to make one or buy one already made? Also, what size do I need to run my SP 165?
    DJ Matt

Check on craigslist for a steal but your best bet is just to make one. Usually a 7.5 - 15HP motor will cover most of your water cooled ions. Start it with a single phase motor and some pulleys. Way easier and safer than caps.

Lightbulb

Hmm. this get me thinking....

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

I thought that I still had a 20 hp 3 phase motor that I would have given you at SELEM, but I can not find it. I think I scrapped it already.

I would suggest going to some local machine shops and seeing if they are scrapping any old machines or if they have any spare motors laying around.

We used to scrap the motors, as it is hard to sell 3 phase. The market for used 3 phase stuff is pretty limited. Also, with the lousy economy, you may want to check some machine auctions for motors. Sometimes the stuff goes for scrap value.

Farms are another place that you may find a good 3 phase motor cheap or free.

Thumbs up

Ive been looking, but I just didnt know really wich way to go..
    But now I think I do

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt