Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My 1W 445 Module build using 4x Anamorphic prisms

Default diodes

Hey jim
    it does not matter what you do to the beam with lens or prisms
    The diodes are. Very astigmatic and sorts it self out after 2m
    that's why you. Can't cut and fold these beams
    but after 2 m you can
    try masking some of the beam at apeture it just fucks up and goes dim far field try the same at 4m and it just cuts beam in half it confused me to start with,untill simon explained what was going on, have fun experimenting with two sets of prisms, but trust me by the time that beam hits 20 m you willwant to go back to one set, the same old rule will come in to play
    add a lens double your divergence,
    Adding. An extra set of prisms is the same as putting. Reverse telescope lens
    on a 635 ,give a great beam at start but. after afew meters its
    So what I am saying is if you use two sets @20m you will have a beam that's almost the same as if you used,no prisms at all, I already been there got tshirt and was gutted
    Sorry for the bad news m8

Thats quite interesting. So after 20 meter its going bad again. Thanks badger i will try 20 meters and see what i come up with

After badger mentioned that the beam get worse after 20 m so i decided to mirror the beam in my toilet to do the test at 27 meters. First picture 27 meters and one prism pair
    Second picture with two prism pairs both in normal horizontal position. beamsize at firstpicture 6cm by 6cm. Second and third picture 3cm by 5 cm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1080769.JPG  

P1080772.JPG  

P1080774.JPG  

I did another test with one prism pair in front of a the beam with a different lens. I noticed that you get a very small divergence but the prismpair doesn,t work that well with this lens. Also the beam is fatter at aperture but after 20 centimeters it reduces so you could put the blue the last in your projector. Distance 27meters size of the beam 3 centimeters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1080776.JPG  

This is the last test and personally for collimating 1 diode I like this one the best not suitable for stacking because of the slightly fatter beam. Its fit the mirrors of your scanners fine. The first picture is with a prism pair and the beam is quite square. The first picture is with a prism pair (beamsize 3by 3cm) in front of it and the second without (beamsize 8by 8cm ) I dont know yet what the losses are but i will do the tests again soon with a powermeter to see what the losses are. I calculated the divergence and it was 1.0 mrad when using the prism pair. Without the prism pair the divergence is 2.4 mrd. Square beam though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1080783.JPG  

P1080781.JPG  

Last edited by edison; 08-25-2010 at 00:50.

Why is everyone only trying to expand the SA and not contract the FA?

Surely the SA is nearly good to go and it's the huge FA that needs taming

If losses wern't too much of an issue, surely one set of prisms to expand the SA and 2 sets to contract the FA is the way to go with this large stripe?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Default nice

Nice results edison guess your lens are a bit better than mine I had to keep mine in focus or the
    beam went out of shape, and this shows us how aixiz lens. Can vary
    best I could manage was 20mm x 3mm @22m which is as good as my 532nm
    when I said the beam got ugly. After 20m. I should have said it did for me as I can only get the thin stripe with my lens, its great to see you are having better luck than me
    with beam shaping. How did it look with two prisms?

Default pm simon

Jim give simon a call he can exlain it to you better than I can
    It proberly can be done but not with what we have might be worth waitng to see what andy comes up with on the 638nm diodes and applying it to the 445's

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    Why is everyone only trying to expand the SA and not contract the FA?

Surely the SA is nearly good to go and it's the huge FA that needs taming

If losses wern't too much of an issue, surely one set of prisms to expand the SA and 2 sets to contract the FA is the way to go with this large stripe?

Default Working the Lab...late one night....he did the MASH.....

Me and Terrawatt have been working on a Test unit....Pics shortly.....to compare prisms with
    cylindricals.....now to compare 1 set prisms to 2 sets prisms.....but....I have this thought....
    IF you use the knife edge 2-diode set up......it would NOT be necessary to shape the beam as much...by stacking....you will still end up with a rectangle...which is fine !!! And you will drive each 445 at a lower mW. Engineering is always a compromise.

This search for the "Holy Grail of 445 Optics" leads me to another question.....What will be the typical beam termination distance for a " Home " show ????? OR...What will be the typical beam termination distance for a " Professional " show ???? That distance would be a guide for how far out our optics need to go and keep the beam tamed. I know.....perfect TEM 00 @ .1 mRAD....NO..not with SS !!!

Any thoughts on these topics ????

CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Me and Terrawatt have been working on a Test unit....Pics shortly.....to compare prisms with
    cylindricals.....now to compare 1 set prisms to 2 sets prisms.....but....I have this thought....
    IF you use the knife edge 2-diode set up......it would NOT be necessary to shape the beam as much...by stacking....you will still end up with a rectangle...which is fine !!! And you will drive each 445 at a lower mW. Engineering is always a compromise.

This search for the "Holy Grail of 445 Optics" leads me to another question.....What will be the typical beam termination distance for a " Home " show ????? OR...What will be the typical beam termination distance for a " Professional " show ???? That distance would be a guide for how far out our optics need to go and keep the beam tamed. I know.....perfect TEM 00 @ .1 mRAD....NO..not with SS !!!

Any thoughts on these topics ????

CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    when knife edging do you line them up side by side, or over lay them at distance to give a tighter beam.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat