Thread: Software compatability with USB interfaces.

Default Software compatability with USB interfaces.

Hi folks,
    I hope you can help steer me onto a path. I currently own the Pangolin QC 2000 basic package but I wish to find an inexpensive way to run several other heads. If I was able to obtain usb interfaces that work with mamba would they work off my Pangolin LD2000? Would I have to get a signal switcher also since my CPU only has 2 usb ports and one is being used by my mouse?
    Thanks

Lightbulb

You could make DMX frames adn set them up in your Pango shows and set the other projectors up for DMX some way.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    You could make DMX frames adn set them up in your Pango shows and set the other projectors up for DMX some way.
    If your only doing beams, or have plenty of projection surfaces for graphics,
    You can do it in analog by sending the same ILDA signals to each projector, adding a DPDT switch to the X axis signals on each projector, so you can "mirror" the X axis on selected projectors, and using a DMX board to control the enable signals of each projector.

Simple, low cost, and just involves making cabling, or maybe adding a few DMX controlled relays. While not as capable as adding more controllers, a clever person can push much better effects out of such a system. Just adding a DMX controlled shutter solenoid to 3 or 4 projectors running beams and the same ilda signal can result in a dramatic improvement in control.

Otherwise order more DMX triggerable, programmable and flexible controllers such as FB3s. Something you can load a new show into with a SD card.

Bill Benner has stated a coming feature of Beyond/Quickshow was to be flexibility between QM and FB hardware, you might wish to email him and ask the status of that.

A caveat of using DMX and not using Ethernet,
    Simple, low cost, DMX beam controllers with only 10-20 fixed beam effects hurt you in the long run, as they are not very flexible and you cannot change your effects.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hi again,
    First I want to thank you guys for your input and the quick response. I believe I may not have been as clear as I should have in my first question. Please excuse that since I am new to forum stuff. As I said before I have the Pang Basic board and program, I was looking at getting several of the FB3's as an option to running multiple projectors with their own signals. But that seemed still too cost prohibitive. Then I found that I-show as well as other places like Mamba are using USB interfaces. Since the principle of the FB3 is a USB interface, would a less expensive interface like I-shows work? I still want to stick with my Pang software, I just want to find a little less expensive way to get my multiple projector signal out. The I-show USB interface does not have the DMX setup but in this situation I don't believe that DMX will be the answer due to the intricacy of what I am programming. Thanks for your input.
    Rich

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

ISHOW, based on the experience of many people = suicidial waste of money.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by sirevrik View Post
    Since the principle of the FB3 is a USB interface, would a less expensive interface like I-shows work? I still want to stick with my Pang software, I just want to find a little less expensive way to get my multiple projector signal out.
    By Pang I assume you mean Pangolin? Pangolin is a hardware/software combo, so if you want to use their software, then you will need to use their hardware. This has advantages in that you can guarantee the two will work togother, a bit like Apple Macs and OSX just work (and conversely not like Windows and homebrew PCs with weird errors and unexpected crashes) - yes I have been scarred!

If you want to use cheap DACs, then you will need to change your software and give up all that you have come to love about Pangolin's software

You may be able to achieve a level of intergation between Pangolin and say Mamba by utilising MIDI. This would be rather cumbersome and would require the two control systems running (possibly requiring two screens) and more complex show setup, MIDI routing etc etc. Have a look at my thread http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...3-with-LivePro

So what you could save in the difference between the cost of FB3 hardware and a Mamba compatible DAC, you may spend in time and hassle. If you have the time, patience but not the cash, go for it and post your journey of discovery here for us to share