Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music, Listening or playing...

Default Music, Listening or playing...

I thought a thread concerning other hobbies we might have would be worthwhile.
    yes there are other things to do other than play with lasers (Please no cries of heresy!)
    If ya have a favorite Band or type of music, or if ya play an intrument (or like to believe you can), post it here.
    Those who stand for nothing, Will fall for anything.

I might as well start this off.
    fav tunes are Dream Theater, Queensryche, Malmsteen, a few other assorted similar types, of course the GOOD rock and roll, '70, '80
    NO disco, rap hip hop, or other "urban" noise. You couldnt pay me to live in a city.

Now for instruments, matalic magenta Ibanez 7 string, Cherry red 6 string Alvarez , Aria acoustic. Digitech RP2000 effects, Zoom 9000 portable effects box, Kustom 65watt amp. Creative 4 octave midi keyboard, Native instruments synth software. Some really awesome sounds.
    More than enough to keep the neighbors awake at night.

Having grown up with Styx, Yes, Pink Floyd oh and of course the Beatles.
    and the mire of other great rock bands I tend to play much of thier stuff regular
    But lately..my favs have been Primus/Oysterhead.AudioSlave, Seether and Saliva..that was last year..This year so far...The Secret Machines.,Tool and Slipknot..and Dave Navarro..It changes like the weather.
    As far as instruments go...'64 Gibson 330, '72 Les Paul "black Beauty, '76 Les Paul Sunburst "goldy", '97 Epiphone "Fav kick-around/playall", '99 PRS Epiphone ..and a '63 SG "pos"....those are the sixes.
    Washburn 12 string with equilizer and cut-out.
    '95 Fender 4 string P bass "Fav kick-around" - always handy.., '01Modulus five string " Gurtrude"- "Too nice to play" , Had a '77 fender when I was out touring but it was stolen...
    JP-8000 Synth...GT-5 guitar effects , Mackie 12ch mixer , Teac A3440 4 track, yes I know "old tek" still have it...cant seem to give it up as I still have live shows on it. Still have 12 or so "stomp-Boxes" and wire-less rx and tx systems.
    Fender "Showman" amp..Marshall JC-800..and of course the "Kustom" 4 channel amp. Avatar 18' Bass cabinet..and "Two" Electrovoice 18" Theater cabinets..JBL horns and Yes..I have a Leslie rotating organ speaker . And a Therimin Box.
    I have not been out playing since about '87 , That last gig with the "Brazil Bros" did me in..we played nothing but cover tunes ...but it was great to be out there.
    My folks were in various Country Rock bands in the sixties...soooo what can I say.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Also..forgot to mention...
    Where I work..8 of us in the shop either has a guitar or keyboard handy..
    There are 3 bands that work at the same location..but you can never get any of us together to play..how strange is that? Altho one guy in the shop useto belong to "Metal Church" another is from the famous "Fattoruso" Band of Argentina/Uraguay.
    Other guy in the shop does nothing but country car commercials ..yuckky. but thats ok he's from Musselshoals.
    Just thinking about it now I can count about 30 musicians and a few others are either Opera or Church or some kind of singer...
    Very eclectic group of people..Oh, I work at a TV station..that might be why.
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

I am surprized ....
    ..No one else as anything to add to this thread?
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

I guess pushing a button on a leadlight is the most creative some people get.
    :P
    (waiting for the tomatoes and other rotten fruit to begin flying)

I'm learning guitar. haven't got real far. can only the main riffs out of "enter sandman","asshole", and the start to "come as you are". and a few pissy other things like wipeout, peter gunn.....

Quote Originally Posted by DaFiend
    I'm learning guitar. haven't got real far. can only the main riffs out of "enter sandman","asshole", and the start to "come as you are". and a few pissy other things like wipeout, peter gunn.....
    enter sandman. mariano rivera's entrance theme as he closes out the yankees in the 9th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengal
    I might as well start this off.
    fav tunes are Dream Theater, Queensryche,...
    Heh, that's awesome.

I'm actually the admin for the Jordan Rudess forum, been a fan of DT for... about 7 years now, just before LTE came out.
    I was in a DT coverband for about... 4 of those years, and I play keyboard. And yes, I don't *think* I can play, I actually *CAN* play

I own a Yamaha RBX375 *John Myung 5 string bass model*, a Korg Triton LE76 *for all those nasty Derek Sherinian sounds* and a Kurzweil 2500XS, fully loaded and I've actually done some Kurzweil programming FOR JR on a few occasions.
    I also run 2 seperate studios.
    Studio A::
    MobilePre USB 48,000/24bit Mixing/soundcard.
    1.8Ghz Athlon DAW - Running WinXP Pro, Sonar XL4, ProTools4, Cooledit 2.1
    (1 gig/ram, 180GB WD HD, 12x48x32 DVD/CD Burner +/-, 19" KDS monitor, etc.)
    For sound I'm running two Polk Audio monitors. 200w/channel, with a 200w 8" ambient sub.
    Keys: Kurzweil 2500XS, loaded w/all options except KDFX.
    2 El-Cheapo Casio keyboards
    Guitar: In Studio B
    Bass: 5 String Yamaha RBX375 JM model
    Drums: In studio B

Studio B:
    Audiophile 24/96. If you know ANYTHING about this soundcard...
    Dual 24 track mixing consoles, 500W/channel, 4 stereo or 8 mono outs.
    2.8 64 bit Athlon processor, 1.2gig's ram, 2 180gb HD's, CD multipress, CD digital labeller, etc.. Also running WinXP Pro, Sonar XL4, ProTools4, Cubase 3, Nuendo, Gigasampler, Kontakt, Reaktor, NI Hammond, etc... You name it, it's probably in there.
    Sound: 2 Black Widow 2000w/speaker with 2 500w/speaker monitors
    Keys: Korg Triton LE, 76, Loaded.
    Guitars:Peavey Wolfgang special w/drop D tuner, Ibanez... uhhh, el cheapy blue guitar with a broken floyd lol, 2 Takamine 6 string electric/acoustics, west indian mid size sitar (17 string I believe)
    Bass: Yamaha... Red... Cheap and old bass. It's got a warm sound though. 2 Custom DP models, both through-body neck, 4 string and 5 string.
    Drums: 2 Pearl Acoustic kits, 1 is 5 peice, 1 is 10 peice *Similar to Mike Portnoy's purple monster before the SFAM tour* and an electric VK 8 series.
    Other: Shakers, Tamborines, various percussion, blah blah. All that other stuff that would sit around a studio and take up room

So that's what we're running *by we I mean the Bill Kidney band that I'm currently working for*
    I'm just shocked and suprised that you're also a DT fan. I mean, I know we're few and far between but I suppose that it's cool to know someone who actually appreciates "good" music

So, just out of me being curious - what's your fave DT album and when did you first discover them?

Hey marconi, I got a 76' Les Paul too. It s a 76 Les Paul Special with Limited Edition on the back of the neck. But alot of those mid 70's Les Pauls say Limited Edition. Its got a Washburn 2001 Wonderbar(had to drill) tremlo with locks. That thing can lay em on the frets and come back dead in tune. I used to have some others, including a Gibson SG that I liked alot. But I never played any except for the Les Paul. People would ask to buy one and I would be like...OK. And my cousin got the SG that he was supposed to sell me back if he was ever to get rid of it. Then he traded it to the music store for a new Les Paul. Its been 10 years and he still owes me some money

I never played on stage except partys, but I did soundman 2-3 nights a week before the kids were born. My cousin used to play every night in a different town between here and NYC. They played Orlando and over where you live too sometimes. But he quit the road when he started a bussiness.
    I like LedZep,VH,Soundgarden,Nirvanna,, AC/DC,S Pumkins and on back to Guess Who and Cream. Stuff like that. And I got a new CD couple months back I been meaning to learn some stuff from. They been getting alot of air around here, but for some reason I cant remember thier name right now Prob will the second I hit submit............