Thread: Clicks of DEATH!!!!

Default Clicks of DEATH!!!!

Holy crap.. I went to boot my laptop this afternoon, and I got a bluescreen "Unmountable bookdisk", then I reached for my trusty Windows Professional Disk to do a chkdsk. I thought I could try to fix a bad sector of two. Upon reboot, the drive started to freak, click and make all kinds of not normal hard drive sounds. I think that the head may have crashed some how. Not sure how, since I have never been rough with it, nor have I dropped it. 6 months of bussiness planning for my club, plus countless other irreplacable files (all my girls old MBA papers and such) may be gone. She talked to a data recovery service, and they said it was a piece of cake, and they could get everything back that was not a program. I'm highly doubtful. This is very upsetting to me, since I was almost ready to submit my plan for global domination to investors in a month. I wondering if I bought another harddisk, if I could remount the platter, but I don't think thats possible.

Jay...

Awe man...that surely sux ...bigtime

I hope you can get back all that data...and cheap
    I understand completely whats thats like.
    Months if not years of GOODSTUFF gone...
    Its like someone robbed ya..And left ya standing in the cold. :evil:

Time to think about making back-ups..Itsa PITA
    but sometimes ya just got to take the time out and do it.

Well, Hope you get all of the important stuff at least.

Good Luck Dude

*^_^*
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Well, just took it to the recovery service, they said it will take up to 5 days for the transfer. They are going to try to make an image of the drive, and copy it over to a new one. I guess they have some special software or hardware to do it. I'm generally good with computers, and have brought them back from the dead before, but this actually "sounded" very bad. I am pretty sure that they won't be sucessfull, but at the same time, my girl really wants the stuff back, and will sacrifice her pocketbook to do it. They also made us compile a list of important directories, and file type incase the image transfer would not work. The only thing that's shitty, is that we have to pay win or lose. If we lose, I'm going to try to extract the platter out of the defunked drive and inbed it into a working one, I figure it's not working now, so WTF. Drives are cheap on the Feebay, so I figure I can get one for less then 60, and if it gets trash b/c I took it a part, I'll just get another one, and start a new.

It really sux, b/c we did lose YEARS of information, and we were dumb, not backing it up. I guess the saying is true "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone".